Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am a new egger!

Options
Kosko
Kosko Posts: 535
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I finally bought a large egg after many years of drooling over one. I brought my egg home in the box and noticed it came with feet. Should I use them or not use them.i have enjoyed reading you guys post on here for the last couple of months and hope to be able to cook some of the stuff you all are. Let me know what are some mandatory starters. Thanks!
Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Welcome.  If you have a nest you won't use the feet, except maybe on a plate setter.  Without a nest you need the feet, or some bricks to elevate the Egg off of whatever it is resting on.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Kosko
    Options
    I am currently building my own table. I have seen people use pavers or feet. I just didn't know what's best?
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    A lot of guys are envious that you got feet with your Egg because BGE is discontinuing them.  Some use them as spacers between the platesetter and the pizza stone or a pan.  I haven't used them in that capacity yet because until very recently, my large was sitting on them.  I bought a patio stone just becasue of the chatter on the forum about using them as spacers.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Keep your feet to elevate your drip pan from your platesetter. It will help your drippings keep from burning in your drip pan...

Oh and welcome to the club.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Kosko said:
    I am currently building my own table. I have seen people use pavers or feet. I just didn't know what's best?
    Welcome to your soon-to-be obsession's forum.  If you build a table, you want to put down a paver AND use the feet to create an air gap between the egg and paver.   That is, if you have the paver on the wood shelf.  If you build the paver into the design, you don't need the feet.  I use the paver on a wood shelf with the feet.
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I'm with nolaegghead...my egg sits in a table on feet, on a paver. I started simple with cheeseburgers because I couldn't wait to cook on it. I have learned that Whole Foods or Publix will spatchcock a chicken for you. It makes it a whole lot easier. (I hope these guys won't think I'm cheating!) I've done a couple and they've been the juiciest chicken I've ever cooked. Enjoy your egg and welcome!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I almost set my table on fire without the air gap.  Lesson learned. :)
    Options
    @nolaegghead - when I set mine up, I put the egg on the feet without knowing about the air gap. Just blind luck that I set it up like that. I almost didn't use the feet and said "what the hell, it's got feet, I'll use them". By the way, I'm a Gamecock fan. Don't hold that against me!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @hashmaker - I respect all fans regardless of their unfortunate selection of team ;)  (Wait...except for that Alabama fan that dangled his junk on a passed out LSU fan in the French Quarter. :(   )

I was new on the forum and I posted some pics of my egg in the table I built, and someone said - you need an air gap.  Sho' nuff, I looked under the table and it was black in the center.  Thank you egg forum!

edited October 2012
    Options

Congratulations - It took me forever to make up my mind too. Just wait til you fire it up. It will or won't be exactly as you imagined.

In my case - it was not as I imagined. Why with all the time I spent didn't I go to an event or at least a store demo? Probably would have been a good idea but - after the initial surprise (documented elsewhere) it's going to be a fun learning experience.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Takes a few mistakes to learn from.  I graduated from the school of hard knocks.  Yeah, I made a few dishes that featured the taste of an ash tray.  Took that and research here on learning how to make a fire, add wood, recognize when it's ready, and to not do stuff like snuff the fire with food in it.
    Options
    Thanks guys for the input....I am almost finished making my table and I am def. going to put my egg on the paver and the feet!...I will post a pic when I get the table done . And hashmaker it's all good, I hate it we (Georgia bulldogs) threw away an opportunity to play for the champ. But I still love my dawgs!
  • Kosko
    Options
    Well guys I am done with my table. I will let the wood dry out for a while before I paint and stain. She is ready to give birth to a large egg . Can't wait!
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Congrats on the new Egg, you're gonna love it.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Options
    Your going to love your egg, and there is a bunch of great guys and gals on this fourm that are always ready to help
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I have the feet but it's sitting on slate tile. Don't paint. I'm a paint contractor and you don't want paint around heat. if you've already built the table, what you put under it might effect your height. Try different things. You might find a 16 x 16 tile or larger to set the feet on. Search this to see what the experienced guys have used on the top. My 2 cents.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Or keep your feet for the plate setter and go buy a table nest, there is always something to buy....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I agree with Skiddymarker. Buy the new table nest and keep your feet as a way to space your other Eggcessories. (or sell them on EBay, as last I checked they were going for $40 + for the set)
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • Kosko
    Options
    Well here she is!....I listened to you guys and put the feet on . I fired her up for the first time a while ago and I must say this thing is a dream!....I cannot believe the temp. Control. I am BLOWN away!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yep, you did it right.  Congrats!
    Options
    By the way. Thank you ALL for helping me and you won't be able to run me off from this forum.
  • Kosko
    Options
    Cook # 2 on my egg. Home made lasagna.
  • henapple
    Options
    Looks great...
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Table, egg with its shoes on and your cook all look good, congrats. 
    Big advantage I found when I put the egg on a table nest (or the ceramic feet) is the clearance under has a huge benefit for easy cleaning. You can slide a dustpan under the egg and then rake the ash out over the edge of the lower vent onto the waiting dustpan. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    Options
    Nice table job...
  • calracefan
    Options
    Congratulations on your success, your table looks nice and sturdy and your food looks good too !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO