Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lavender on baby backs

greenkahuna
greenkahuna Posts: 10
edited September 2012 in Sauces, Rubs, Marinades
Aloha! Thought I would share a bit of an experimental seasoning I used as a part of a basic rub for baby backs. I added lavender (culinary lavender to be exact) perhaps a teaspoon to a pretty standard S&P, paprika, garlic poweder ect rub. Finished off the 2.5 hour/250 degree session with Sweet Baby Rays. I was a bit skeptical on  the lavender adding any flavor, but was really impressed with the aroma and taste. Give it a try; would be intersted to hear the results.

Comments

• I don't like perfume on my pork.  You will never improve on the basics.  Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Garlic and the other pork friendly spices.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Technically, the basics would just be salt and pepper @SamFerrise.

I think BBQ is all about experimenting and I applaud you for stepping out and trying something new @greenkahuna. =D> Did you get much flavor from the lavendar? Might have shown up more without the  SBRs, I would think.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Aloha!  Been traveling the past few weeks and haven't made much time for the forum.  To answer, the flavor was very subtle, but a great compliment to the sweet, spicey flavor I like with pork. SBR was great but will scale back a bit.  Bottom line, will most certainly use again.

Prime rib tonght!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I use herbes de provence fairly frequently, which contains lavender.  This spice mixture has been used on grilled foods for ages.  That's what it was made for.  @SamFerrise, you should stop cooking with wood, because that's a historic perfume ingredient.

nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My pleasure.  You can mix it with S&P, garlic powder and whatever.  Coat the meat with oil before applying the rub in this case - the oil infuses with the aromatics of the spices and intensifies the herbes de provance's flavor in the meat.  Or the meat is fatty, you're good to go.