Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Saturday So Far

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Woke up and made some pigs in a blanket on the Egg this morning. First time for me making breakfast on the Egg.

This afternoon, 12 lbs of pork shoulder ground up, 6 seasoned for bratwurst, 6 for Russian sausage. In the fridge now for the flavors to blend and we'll stuff them and cook some up tomorrow.

Bout to start some chili on the Egg. I'm going to be in a Chili Throwdown Oct 15th with three other Texas bloggers. Would love if you guys could check it out and vote for me. There will be prizes for some of the voters including a 6 qt cast iron dutch oven among other things. I'll let you know later on in the week where to check it out if you are interested. It would be great if the Egghead community came out and showed some support.

I'll get pictures up tomorrow or Monday when I have time. Gotta get that chili going before guests start showing up. Hope everybody is having a great weekend.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Don't take this wrong, Grif, because I think you should probably win based on your proven abilities.  But, I don't like online voting for food preparation contests because they become a popularity contest - not a reward for the best food.  Even if you win, the accolade is hollow.

Every contest should be a blind test.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @Griifin, Post the info, the on-line vote is not really a testament to your cook, but we all know you can cook, we've seen the results and read your comments. If you want my vote, you have it...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

@Village Idiot - I totally understand what you are saying and was thinking I pretty much knew who of the four of us would win.

After making the chili using the supplied chili mix, even doctoring it up.....I'm pretty sure I will be dropping out. It just wasn't good. 8 of us tried it and only one person thought it was ok. The rest were disappointed that it wasn't my chili. I can't stand behind or promote something I don't like and so I'm having a bit of a moral dilemma. I told the guy I would participate and I am a man of my word but at the same time I don't want to give him negative publicity. I also don't want to encourage anybody to buy the stuff either. I've been wrestingly with this issue since Saturday night and I still don't know what I am going to do. I think I'm just going to compose an aplogetic e-mail saying that I can't participate. Lesson learned....don't agree to something until you have tried it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings