Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

44 Pounds of Pork on a Large (Lots of Pics)

War_Eagle_2244
War_Eagle_2244 Posts: 122
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

First of all, thanks to those for the helpful advice yesterday.  I had a minor emergency with the DigiQ.

6 Butts.  44 pounds total.  This was a challenge but I learned a lot in the process…and I had a dang good time!!!

Hickory & Pecan for smoke

Light coat of mustard

3 Beer Rub & injection of apple juice, white vinegar & rub

Packed tight!!!

Comments

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Good Job! Hope you had help shredding all that.
    Lynnwood WA
  • I did...my food processor :))
  • double
    That's cheating!
    Lynnwood WA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Wow!  Great cook. I've done 30 pounds, but this is taking it to another level, literally, as I just used a single layer. Fantastic job.
    Mind you, you used a digiq so I guess you cheated already ;-) ( that's just the jealousy that I don't have one talking)
    Lynnwood WA
  • The whole thing started out very bad.  The pit thermometer on the DigiQ was not working.  I made a post on here and someone said that I could use the food probe to control the pit temp.  That worked BUT there was not a good place to put it.

The pit temp was reading like 220-250 but I could tell it was WAY hotter than that.  I finally figured out that the fat rendering from the butts was dripping onto the probe & cooling it down therefore making the fan run almost nonstop.  Finally, the light came on and I put the food probe through the top vent with it opened just enough to get the probe through.  Then set the pit temp to about 250 and that worked like a charm. 

I actually ended up finishing them in the oven because the charcoal burned up before they were done because of how the cook started out.

I look forward to doing that again sometime.  I know what to do and not do now!!!   

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Now I'm really glad I picked up a couple of butts this afternoon, problem is I'm hungry now!!!