Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walleye Recipes Wanted

Options
dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,081
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been fortunate enough to have obtained about 5 lbs. of Canadian Walleye.

I've done a fair amount of fish on the Egg, mostly Salmon and Catfish, but never Walleye.

If anyone has recipes/cooking suggestions they'd care to share, I'd be grateful.

Kind regards,
dbCooper
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Walleye is very mild and with a delicate flavour. I would suggest salt and pepper and a little butter and maybe some mild herbs. You fan grill (frogmat is great if you have one) or fold in parchment with some lemon. Beer battered and fried is awesome too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    I am from Minnesota, Walleye is a staple.  Fishing for me is not a hobby but an obsession that kind of exceeds our Eggsession.  I have guided, fished competitively, and for leisure as a result I have cooked walleye many many ways.  Cooked properly it is as good as it gets.  I got this recipe years ago from a gentleman named Ray Ostrum.  Ray and his partner were responsible for importing the first Rapala into the US.  The two of them advanced the fishing industry by leaps and bounds with the introduction of their company, Normark Rapala.  Probably the most legendary company in al of fishing.

We enjoy baking our walleye the following way.
    Combine equal parts Hi ho or Ritz crackers and Gold fish crackers in a plastic bag and crush (not to fine) the crackers provide the crunch you normally get from frying.  Spice the cracker mix as you prefer.  I s&p each step as well
    S&P fillet
    S&P flour
    S&P egg mix
    I then flour the filet
    egg wash filets 
    dredge in cracker mix.
    Lay filets on a baking sheet.
    Melt butter and drizzle lightly over the fillet 9not much is needed)
    Preheat oven to 350 
    cook filets to fork tender, cooking time depends on filet thickness.
    Lastly if needed we make our own tartar sauce.  USually cooked this way we do not need it.  but if you do: Mayo, Old Bays enough to color the mayo to a reddish color, Lime Juice, pickle relish and lime juice,s&p to taste.
    this is so good I think i am going to go catch a limit today!!

My next effort will incorporate walleye into a recently posted Zuchini Crab cake recipe someone listed on this site.....that would be awesome.
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    Options
    @yumdinger If you have too many walleye, maybe I should send you my address? :))
  • JalopyBob
    JalopyBob Posts: 175
    Options
    Well, if that walleye was waiting for me to prepare, I would have a dutch oven on the egg with some peanut oil in it coming up to cooking temp. I rinse the filets in cold water and roll in seasoned Louisiana Fish Fry mix and into the peanut oil it goes. It will be a beautiful golden brown before you know it. You only need 3/4" of the oil max in the dutch oven, lid off so you can see  whats going on, and turn once. The peanut oil really does make a difference. Try it.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I ended up cooking them indirect at 325-350' dome, with a couple small chunks of apple wood. Coated with butter and lightly seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and cayenne. They came out good, but nothing really special.

@yumdinger: That recipe sounds very tasty, much better than the method I used, I'll be giving it a try.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA