Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canadian winters and the BGE

hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

I am arecent new owner of an LGBE and am enjoying it so far.

How does the egg hadle the cold northern winters. I never BBQ outside when its stupidly cold outside, but, it has been done in milder temps.

What is the coldest you have used your egg in sub zero temperatures? Anything to be cautious of?

Comments

• I've used mine well below zero many many times when I lived in WI. As a matter of fact, that's why I bought it. Mine sat outside uncovered for 5 WI winters and the only problem I ever had was that it froze shut on me one time. I built a small fire in the ash box and 10 minutes later, we were firing it up. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I can't count the number of times mine have frozen shut. Not a big deal. I do have to take the mapp torch and thaw the lower vent sometimes
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Out of curiosity, is it recommended to bring the temp up slowly on a cold egg when the outside temp is really low?
  • I have never heard or done that. Have had no problems in 15+ years
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    I am going to have to build some kind of shelter before the snow falls, anyone out there with bbq shelter plans.
  • I don't have a shelter cause I love it when the snow builds up and packs and I can see over the rim
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    I am planning to buy a bbq cover for easy snow removal to get access to the egg.
    Quebec - Canada
  • I don't have a shelter cause I love it when the snow builds up and packs and I can see over the rim
    That was funny right there
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Good thread.  I was having these same thoughts.  Just got my Egg earlier this summer and plan on using it through the winter.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    My mancave is a single garage with doors on each end. Great for rolling the egg table in during rain or hot days. I've been thinking for the winter if I could install a powered vent over the egg and cook with one door open. With one door open I have a blower that heats it up to bearable. I watch football out there.. Can't smoke cigars inside. Again....one door will be open.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey said:
    Good thread.  I was having these same thoughts.  Just got my Egg earlier this summer and plan on using it through the winter.
    I also have a screened in patio that I could bring it in to.  Anybody see any problems with this?  It's open on the three sides away from the house.  Possibly use a fan to circulate smoke?
    Steve 

• Pretty dangerous stuff man. I had a house fire 5 1/2 years ago from lump and haven't finished the restoration yet. Another guy had one start from an ember that came out of the top of his egg and got into his garage and set his whole house on fire. I rebuilt my deck with steel and concrete and the house is stucco over cement board and I still worry about one getting on the roof.
  • YEMTrey
    Thanks for the info.  I'll keep it out on the patio.  Just have to shovel a path to get to it in the winter.
    Steve 

• YEMTrey said:
    Thanks for the info.  I'll keep it out on the patio.  Just have to shovel a path to get to it in the winter.
    Done that many times. But now that im back in TX, you don't have to shovel sunshine  :D
  • But other stuff piles up :))
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    My coldest was -17F, and a windchill that was skin freezing. I decided to do burgers, just to spit at old man winter. The Egg had no problem. My biggest problem was that by that time in the winter, the packed snow in front of the Egg had my feet higher than the bottom vent.

The burgers were great, but I was surprised to see this when I went to flip them:

imageimagehttp://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g57/gdenby/Hawk.jpg
  • YEMTrey
    Sweet!  I have a couple of tall pines in the back of my property.  One of the trees is dead at the top of it and there's always a hawk sitting atop there.

During the summer with the windows open I've heard some downright blood curdling cries coming from it's prey of the night.

Beautiful bird.
    Steve 

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Mine is in a sheltered area about a 150 feet from the house, even on windy days it is ok there sheltered by our drive shed and some trees.  I used the egg there all of last winter and it worked like a champ, I had an offset smoker before the egg and after October smoking was just not possible.

Gerhard
  • But other stuff piles up :))
    so true. No shovel big enough for that :))

• gdenby
    YEMTrey said:
    Sweet!  I have a couple of tall pines in the back of my property.  One of the trees is dead at the top of it and there's always a hawk sitting atop there.

During the summer with the windows open I've heard some downright blood curdling cries coming from it's prey of the night.

Beautiful bird.
    An off topic note. I see your avatar image is the great Duane Allman. My wife went to high school w. Berry Oakley, who played with the Allmans. I was always a little jealous when she mentioned how cute he was.
  • YEMTrey

gdenby said:
    YEMTrey said:

Beautiful bird.
    An off topic note. I see your avatar image is the great Duane Allman. My wife went to high school w. Berry Oakley, who played with the Allmans. I was always a little jealous when she mentioned how cute he was.
    I'm a huge Allman Bros, Duane Alllman fan.  Listening to the Dreams Box Set at my desk while at work right now.
    Just finished reading Skydog, The Duane Allman Story.  Had to put the book down and build up the courage to read on when I came to the chapter about Duane's and Berry's accidents.  They were both before my time.  God I wish Duane and Berry were still with us.
    Steve 

• gdenby
    They were both before my time.  God I wish Duane and Berry were still with us.
    One last little OT comment. I always thought Duane was way better than Clapton on the "Layla" album.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited October 2012
    I sandwich a scrap aluminum sheet between the dome and base, no more frozen shut eggs.

appears frozen ...

easily lifted, although top is iced up ...

bottom is bone dry ...
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Used to live up dere in da north years ago, and I almost forgot some of the "unthinkable-in-the-south-pain-in-the-ass little things you need to deal with up there.  We might get a mild freeze every couple of years, and a hard freeze lasting for (gasp!) a couple of days every 5 years.  Less  and less we've been getting even a light freeze.  

A buddy of mine lives in Saskatoon and he was telling me on really, really cold days, his old F-150 vinyl bench seat would be as hard as a block of cement and the tires would freeze with a flat top that made it like driving on square wheels.  

I love the cold weather, but SWMBO is cranking on the electric blanket when it drops below 70F. So a life with snow is not in my future, but I find it fascinating the challenges of BBQ in cold climates.

Yes the cold winters can be troublesome for a select few. I love them as I am a sledder. I look more forward to them, especially the last 4 of them. I bought 4 acres out in the country and built a house. I am 6'2 and I had weeds up to my chin when we took possession. It has been a long 4 summers. 3 years ago I bought my first sled and look forward to it more and more each passing year. There is no work in the winter execpt to keep the driveway clear ( 250 ft) and that I do with my quad and a plow so its not even like work. Now if I can put my egg on and go our for a few hours for a ride and come pback and have dinner ready that is even better. BBQ and sledding all in one day would be spectacular. Just another reson to love winter.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Egging below zero...hardcore. It hit 41 in Tennessee this morning and I'm whining.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Come on a cold winter is nothing that can't be overcome with a strong drink to warm you up.   Lets face it, something hot off the egg is great on a cold winter day.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Last year was my first winter with an egg here in Montana.  Egging in the winter is no big deal.  What it does for me is gives me 5 months of setting the bar unrealistically high for what I will do in the garden when the weather breaks.  Food tastes especially good when you serve it with rosy cheeks-  

I would be honored if you liked my facebook page.  It's just getting going-

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook