Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket @ 200 grate level?

Ox1574
Ox1574 Posts: 8
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking my first brisket ever tonight.  I have a 11lb packer that I would like to put on this evening and cook till about 3pm tomorrow.  Does anyone have good results with keeping the grate temp @ 200 degrees?  I will be using a Cyberq to control the temp.  Thanks

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'd cook it hotter - maybe 250 - 270 grate.  Pull it when the flat gets tender (probe slides in with little resistance) and the internal temp is around 200F.
    I am cooking my first brisket ever tonight.  I have a 11lb packer that I would like to put on this evening and cook till about 3pm tomorrow.  Does anyone have good results with keeping the grate temp @ 200 degrees?  I will be using a Cyberq to control the temp.  Thanks
    You are going to have dry brisket if you cook it at 200 grate. If it were me, I would put it on as late as you can stand to stay up and cook it at 300 on the dome. Your cyberQ will keep it at 200 but you won't like what you get out of that deal.

It will cook in around an hour+ per lb at that temp so if you put it on at Midnight, it will be ready around noon tomorrow. You can easily hold it in a cooler with towels for many hours.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ox1574
    I should have said that I did inject the brisket, then mustard outside, then rub. I just don't want to get caught with it not being done in time for dinner tomorrow.
  • Ox1574 said:
    I should have said that I did inject the brisket, then mustard outside, then rub. I just don't want to get caught with it not being done in time for dinner tomorrow.
    none of that should affect the time too much. Mine are never over 1.25 hrs per lb when I go 300 dome. You can certainly do them slower, but I can tell you the results of going a little hotter have been eye opening for me. 
  • Ox1574
    Is it normal for the flat to jump from 54 degrees to 105 in just under an hour?  Oh crap, just realized I forgot to put my drip pan in with some water/juice.  I just went and pulled the grate out and added the pan.  I just got worried that it jumped that high that quick....started second guessing that I put it on too early tonight.
  • Chilax dude. You are fine. Totally normal.