Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips for my first brisket this weekend!

Options
Hilton
Hilton Posts: 41
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to try my hand at a brisket this weekend. I have been reading up online on different methods but was wondering what some of you have found to be the best way to smoke on the egg. I have a large with the plate setter and have gotten some chunks of oak and plan to use the "cow lick" rub from dizzy pig. I have not done many long cooks so I guess my questions are mainly about setting and lighting the fire for a long cook, how many wood chunks should I use? Fat side down? 250 at the dome? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Also as far as the meat itself, do you usually trim up a little of the fat or leave as is?

Thanks,

DL

Comments

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    I do trim up my briskets to about a 1/4" and take out the "hard fat."  I slather with mustard so my rub sticks to the brisket better.  I usually use 5 chunks with brisket.  Why 5 chunks?  I did it one time with one on each side and one in the middle of my fire and liked the results.  You want clean out the ash in your egg and your egg should be at 250 - 275 dome. I like placesetter legs up with a drip pan of 50/50 mix of apple juice and water in the drip pan. It may not do a dang thing for the cook but I have had good results doing it so I just stuck with it.  I have done brisket with the rub your using and it was a good choice.  I start probing my brisket for tenderness at 195.  Most of mine have been done at 200 - 205.  You can do a couple of things, I have cooked to the stall and then aluminum pan my brisket with enough apple juice or beef broth to cover the bottom of the pan, seal the pan with foil and cook it to 200 - 205.  Or some wrap the brisket in foil and pour a cup of juice of beef broth into the foil pouch and seal it.   I think this will gives you a juicier tender brisket but not a hard black bark.  Or you can not pan it.  If it is a packer, trim the point off, cube it, put it in an aluminum pan, add some more of your rub, your favorite BBQ sauce and back onto the grill for an hour for some of the most tender pieces of meat called burnt ends. 

I also FTC my brisket for about an hour to let it relax.

Here is another method that looks good also.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1

Good luck with your brisket.  Post up your results.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Hilton
    Options
    Thanks Dave! I will be taking pictures along the way and will definitely post a few here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Don't forget to fill your firebox up to the top of the fire ring.  Light the top center.  Distribute your wood chips or chunks throughout the lump in the center area of the lump pile.
    Options
    Don't forget to enjoy your favorite adult beverage of choice, slowing and winding down, and enjoy the ride and smell of the brisket.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I cook at 300 dome now and it makes the best briskets I've ever cooked
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    My next packer will be at 300. I have just got to try it. I usually do 275 dome.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

My next packer will be at 300. I have just got to try it. I usually do 275 dome.

275 is on but 300 is better :)
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    #Dave in Florida and I have almost the exact method, except I usually go lower temps and longer cook times and never crutch...

#The Cen-Tex Smoker has me convinced to try my next packer at 300*.  If they really come out that much better... :)  What's your average cook time, brother?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    #Dave in Florida and I have almost the exact method, except I usually go lower temps and longer cook times and never crutch...

#The Cen-Tex Smoker has me convinced to try my next packer at 300*.  If they really come out that much better... :)  What's your average cook time, brother?

1 hr per lb
  • Hilton
    Options
    The brisket is on! The egg kind of settled in at 275 dome so that's where she's wants to be!

I'll post some pictures of the finished brisket. If it sucks we will have some good sides either way!