Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless chicken breasts direct or raised direct?

Options
Grillin_G_Ma
Grillin_G_Ma Posts: 102
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Do I have to raise the grid to do chicken breasts direct or can I leave it in the regular position?

Thanks,

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
     You can do it either way.
    Options
     You can do it either way.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    If you have the woo and the adjustable rig, I've been searing on cast iron grid down in the woo and moving up to the raised grid after I get good colour. Remember to rest them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    If you have the woo and the adjustable rig, I've been searing on cast iron grid down in the woo and moving up to the raised grid after I get good colour. Remember to rest them.
    Best way, but raised direct or direct or indirect will all work, depends what final result of color and texture you want. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options

I know you can do them a multitude of ways. I'm just a little excited about this one now cause we're eating bscb four times a week and they get a lot more flavour this way.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I will never cook boneless skinless chicken breasts ever again. I get the bone in skin on split breasts and peel the skin back and put a pad of butter and season and then pull the skin back over and cook indirect to 160. I remove the skin and throw away and pull the chicken for lunches during the week. Way better than any boneless breast I have ever made.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I do them raised direct,  easier to control cooking temp and with them up, easier to get at.   Sometimes before grilling, I'll cut each breast in half to even out the breast thickness.  It's a tricky chicken part to keep moist, so anything to help on grilling and retain moisture works for me.  Can play with sauces too, alabama white sauce pictured.    t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    Last night I cooked some boneless skinless indirect at 375. I already had the plate setter in from the appetizers and I didn't feel like taking it out. It worked great.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god.