Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The BGE Christening

Options
GREG
GREG Posts: 22
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
This BGE thing is way over rated. Who would want food this good cooked in their own backyard? I'm in! Although a bit apprehensive, I followed the Flock and did the Spatchcock chicken for the first cook. A definite success! I should have gotten a bigger bird. There's none left for later. Many Thanks to Chef Jeff, my local dealer at The Hearth and Grill Shop in Nashville. They put two fireplaces in my new home recently and delivered the Egg a few days ago. They are very knowledgeable on anything involving a flame.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great looking bird, nice and even color, If I didn't know better, I'd say this was split on the breast side, Spatchcocking is done by removing the back bone... still came out good.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GREG
    GREG Posts: 22
    Options
    Skiddy, you may be correct. I've never cooked a whole chicken like this. I may have split it from the wrong side. I'll try the other next time. It was delicious. Nothing left but a few bones.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Just goes to show there are many ways to skin a cat or Spathcock a chicken. Just remember, it's not a science, it's an art, and it's flawed. The fact that there was none left makes it a success. Welcome.
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I've gotten too EGGcited and spilt the "wrong" end before, it didn't make any pictures for the forum but still was some of the best chicken i've had. Welcome! The best thing about this forum is finding multiple ways to have some great tasting food I like documenting my cooks and being able to make them even better the next time, as if that even seems possible sometimes! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Great looking bird, nice and even color, If I didn't know better, I'd say this was split on the breast side, Spatchcocking is done by removing the back bone... still came out good.
    By George, I think you're right...probably tastes just as good though.
    Options

Looks like a great first job.

Here's a 3rd way to split a chicken. A buddy of mine did this on another forum, joking around and said his dog was misbehaving so he took care of the problem.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    Would you call that a Spatchbutt chicken then?  :))
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Griffin's buddy did a SpatchMUTT :)