Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomorrows Tailgate

michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

So I plan on bringing 4 racks of baby rack ribs, ABT's, and my deep fryer so I can make some deep fried redskins. My question is this....

I will not be bringing the egg, I will be bringing portable gas and charcoal grills. What is the best way to prepare the ribs prior to going tomorrow at 8am? I was thinking that I could either boil them and once they are pulling from the bone, take out of over, dry rub, then let sit overnight and finish on the charcoal grill with some smoke. Or smoke them on the egg, and once close to being done, pull and let sit overnight until I finish tomorrow. I just want to make tender ribs like I always do, but I have never done a cook the day before to serve the next day and I dont want them to be like leftovers.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Basically, I need to know the best way to put out a good baby back rib, when doing 75% of the cooking the night before.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• I wouldn't boil them, you lose a lot of the flavor to the boiling liquid. Have you considered cooking them all the way and just warming them @ the game? Good luck to you and your team.
    Edina, MN

• I did, however I dont want to risk them being dry due to cooking a re heating. I agree not to boil, I think I will just smoke them for a while tonight, put in fridge, then at tailgate wrap in foil with liquid and breeze to finish direct with sauce and more sauce..

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• What I do in situations like that is cook them as normal but don't sauce them until u take them off. Once the cool sauce them and wrap the in foil and refrigerate. Next day warm on low heat in the foil for a while just to get them temps up but not cook again. Then take out of foil and cook at a little higher and more sauce to your liking. I thing ribs taste better like this the second day than straight of the cooker. Sauce has time to marinate the cooked meat a bit.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    What are deep fried redskins?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I cube red skin potatoes, soak in water for run off the starch, let sit a while. Heat oil to about 350 and drain water from potatoes. When they are dry, I season them with (your favorite seasoning here) and then drop them as if they were potato wedges. Cook until golden brown and crispy. They are amazing, every time I have made them they get rave reviews.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Never boil. Strike that word from your vocabulary when it comes to ribs. I'd smoke them like normal until just about done, then grill them at the game to warm them up. I don't sauce ribs, so can't help you there.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    How did the ribs turn out? What method did you end up going with?
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I ended up putting them in the oven (convection) with foil, dry rubbed for 4 hours at 250. Took them out and put in fridge overnight. Took to tailgate and finished on our little charcoal grill with sauce. They were OK. Put it this way, I told the people at my tailgate that I will NEVER cook them that way again. I was not happy, mainly because people I usually cook for are accustomed to perfection from my cooks and to me this one was not. I have put out a great product be it the EGG, oven, or even my old chargriller smokin pro duo, but I had a bad feeling going in seeing as how to me, I was serving people leftovers. I do not like to eat left over meat 90% of the time I give it away. Next time, I will bite the bullet and get down there even earlier so I can take the egg.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Sorry it didn't work out as well as you wanted. I was thinking about doing something similar and using my small for abts, etc.. :-? Thanks for posting
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Not my line, but I have used it since I first read it in the forum.  "NEVER BOIL!  If you boil your ribs, the terrorists win!"  Prepare on your egg and then heat up on the grill you have.  It may not be your best performance but they are still damn good!
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • Right, I didnt mean boil when I created this post. When I said boil, what I meant was, in the oven with a pan of water under it.

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Phewww.....I was surprised.  I have read your posts before and you are not a rookie.  Good luck.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • Thanks bro, haha no, far from a rookie, but even further from a pro!