Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ranch Weekend (not Egged)

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

This past weekend was the annual guys dove hunting trip down at my In-Laws ranch. Weather was not very ideal, rainy and overcast, foggy in the morning. Just not very much flying at all. I took a half day Thursday because it takes me about 5.5 hours to get down there (outside of Goliad, Texas). Got in just in time to unload, grab a gun and a four wheeler and make it out to the field. I thought I'd go ahead and show my huge haul for Thursday night.

I know....pretty impressive....not really. But considering I only shot 4 times, and one was a long shot.....

The rest of the evening was pretty relaxing. I got to enjoy the ranch all by myself. Heated up some bbq that I picked up at Blacks BBQ in Lockhart knowing I wouldn't be cooking. It didn't fare well in the car. The brisket was a bit dry (it came from the end) and the jap cheese sausage was nothing to write home about. Sat out on the porch, watched the stars, listened to nature and sipped on some bourbon.

Friday was a relaxing day. Got up early to hunt, but it was foggy. Never did fire a shot. Came back to the ranch house and saw these guys. 6 turkeys in all.

Joked around with my father in law about shooting one for Thanksgiving, 'cept he doesn't know how to clean one and neither do I. Think we'll have to figure that one out. I didn't shoot anything Friday night, my brother in law managed to nab 1. Pretty bad. Poker and drinking into the wee hours of the morning.

Saturday, I cooked up a mess of ABTs and some ribs for the Baylor game.

ABTs disappeared before I could get a shot of them and this was all I managed to get of the ribs.

These might have been some of the best ones I've done in awhile.

Hunted again Saturday night, but there just weren't any dove. Out of 11 people, I think only 2 were shot. Afterwards, there was a big steak cook. I took my dove and wrapped a piece of bacon around them along with a sliver of jalapeno and some cheese. Somehow, no pictures of dinner were taken at all. I gotta say, this was my 2nd time dove hunting, first time I ever shot one (actually two) and food tastes so much better when you shot it, cleaned it, prepped it and cooked it all by yourself. It was like bites of heaven in my mouth. I just wished the ranch was closer.  :( Hopefully I can get back down there again in October. And maybe next time, I'll be able to take an Egg with me.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Jason when you come to Salado keep in mind: No Open Season On Poodles :o3
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Jason when you come to Salado keep in mind: No Open Season On Poodles :o3
    Just poodle owners. But be warned, they're very hard to clean.  :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

=)) No worries, Mickey. I'm a dog lover. Would never hurt Nelly Poodle or any other dog. Cat on the other hand....I kid, I kid. I wouldn't hurt a cat, but I'm not gonna pet one either.

I need to win an Egg in Salado so I can leave one at the ranch.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I'm glad out of 11 people, you think only two got shot.. =)) Looks like a fun weekend with the guys and some tasty grub!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Reminds me of my first dove hunt. first shot, bird went down. "hey, I may be a natural". Two boxes of shells later, still one bird!
    Been there, done that my first time out too.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.