Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie table/paver/fire brick question. WIll this work?

firebike
firebike Posts: 39
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I started making my table while waiting for my egg to arrive. I based my dimensions off another egg and took into account that feet would be included. I have read here that I can use a paver or brick underneath the egg as support and heat barrier but I have a question. Wouldn't having a paver not have adequate air space between the egg and the table and transfer alot of heat to the table? I am not doubting you in any way as I know many here use it and have been fine. But I have a cedar table and do not want heat it to much. Would my homeade feet work to support the egg and give it good air space. There is no support in the middle, so do I need something in the middle? I realize my feet are higher than the egg feet, so I may have to cut them down a bit to get the egg to fit the table a bit better. What do the experts say?

Comments

• There is more than enough space there. No question. Don't worry.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Also, your egg will not warp like a piece of wood. You are all set, hell if you wanted to be extra safe, just put a piece of 1/4" cedar paneling under.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Yeah I even thought of cutting a round piece of aluminum flashing halfway between the wood and the egg as a heat sink/deflector if the wood got hot. I might do that if I end up cutting the feet down to get the egg a little lower.
  • Trust me, go ahead and get that baby hot, cook a pizza... do a clean burn, whatever you decide, and it will be warm. But it will not be hot to the point that it damages your wood.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Keep an eye on it.  If the finish starts bubbling, put a radiant barrier down.  A few sheets of aluminum foil folded over with paper towel in the middle would work to reflect the heat away from the wood. Convection isn't a problem with the air gap, but radiant heat is.
    I came  home today with the table nest. Itis cheap at 17$ or so and really well made. Why not go with BGE and be safe.  

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• My local dealer wanted $35 for the table nest. I thought that to be a bit high...I would get one for $17.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You have a whole lot more clearance than the "little green feet" gave. I would probably put a thin tile or a piece of stainless under though, just in case an ember gets out

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    You have a whole lot more clearance than the "little green feet" gave. I would probably put a thin tile or a piece of stainless under though, just in case an ember gets out
    +1. you are higher than my table nest, no question. Like my Taranta friend says, the only issue is an ember coming out. Suggest you somehow fireproof under the lower vent. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    My egg has a screen that keeps embers from exiting the bottom of the egg.  I keep it closed.  Did they stop including those?

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    If you roll your table around frequently, you may have stability issues with the top heavy egg falling off the feet. Personally, I'd welcome a higher standing set of feet.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • My egg has a screen that keeps embers from exiting the bottom of the egg.  I keep it closed.  Did they stop including those?
    I think the newer ones have the screen, both of my eggs have them and both were bought this year

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm not sure if this pic is your table or not but if your worried about heat you could always tile the bottom shelf. I used natural slate on both of my shelves. Also us the BGE table nest.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    My egg has a screen that keeps embers from exiting the bottom of the egg.  I keep it closed.  Did they stop including those?
    All eggs have screens, well at least the MBGE, LBGE and XLBGE. I think where you can have an ember fall out is if you "stoke" or "wiggle" through the lower vent, should be safe as you are there when and if one falls out, but could still "burn" the shelf. 
    A 2" paver is quite a bit of insulation , but some guys actually put a small metal spacer on the paver under the egg for air flow, the bottom does get warm. If you plan to roll around a lot, I'd use just the paver. Make sure there is lots of paver in front of the egg, ensures easy cleaning of ash. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • My egg has a screen that keeps embers from exiting the bottom of the egg.  I keep it closed.  Did they stop including those?
    All eggs have screens, well at least the MBGE, LBGE and XLBGE. I think where you can have an ember fall out is if you "stoke" or "wiggle" through the lower vent, should be safe as you are there when and if one falls out, but could still "burn" the shelf. 
    A 2" paver is quite a bit of insulation , but some guys actually put a small metal spacer on the paver under the egg for air flow, the bottom does get warm. If you plan to roll around a lot, I'd use just the paver. Make sure there is lots of paver in front of the egg, ensures easy cleaning of ash. 
    I know people who have eggs that did not come with screens.

• firebike said:
    My local dealer wanted $35 for the table nest. I thought that to be a bit high...I would get one for $17.

Call the retail outlet at 770-934-5300
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • nolaegghead
    I'm in the design phase for my table and I have a question.  Do you need an air gap if you are placing a paver underneath the egg.  thanks all.
    I originally had a thin paver under my large BGE with no air gap.  I charred the bottom shelf doing pizzas.  I added the air gap with the feet and no problems since. 

Thanks nola

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    I'm in the design phase for my table and I have a question.  Do you need an air gap if you are placing a paver underneath the egg.  thanks all.
    I just recently got rid of my table that I had holding my large Egg for 8 years.  The Egg had been sitting on a paver.  No feet.  After those 8 years, there was some slight discoloration under the paver.  I am not even sure I would describe it as likely being caused by heat.

In my experience, if using feet between your Egg and the paver makes you more comfortable, by all means do it, but it isn't necessary
  • nolaegghead
    Here's a good link for information on protecting your table, house and home from your egg.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm

Call the retail outlet at 770-934-5300
    Awesome. Thanks.