Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Platesetter and Wood Chips Question

r270ba
r270ba Posts: 763
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok so I just finished my first 'large' cook (25 lbs of butt).  During the cook I ran into an issue where I had all the meat on the grill and needed to add wood chips.  Ultimately I just slid them down the side of the egg and the 'arches' in the plate setter.  The problem is that this didn't hit the hot lump so it just kind of sat there.  I was able to 'flick' some of the wood onto the burning lump to get smoke but this was kind of a pain in the rear.  

So to my question...what is the easiest way to get the wood chips on the the fired lump without having to remove the grid with meat on it and then the hot plate setter.  I also do not want this to turn into a chips vs. chunks debate.  If chunks solve the problem on someone's opinion that is fine.  I don't have chunks I have chips.

Thanks all!

Ron
Anderson, SC
XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Dude, you gotta get chucks... JK.... 

I have the same problem and just remove it all set aside on a metal table I have nearby and put everything back.  I do think some of the accessories out there from CGS make it a bit easier, but I don't have any of them.  Sorry I don't have an answer but thanks for starting the conversation.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • I was just about to post a thread on this!
    I was very pleased with my set up on my smoke this weekend. I'll post a pic of it when I get home. I did my plate setter legs down and then placed my WOO extender directly on it. It allowed me have direct acces to the fire and I dropped wood chunks in every now and then for a constant smoke.

Now you could not do a whole lot of meat like this but I was extremely pleased and will do it again.

You do not have to have constant smoke tho for flavor. And chunks mixed in with your coals.

XLBGE 
  • Somebody not long ago suggested opening the lower vent and putting the chips or chunks in there if you need to while the cook is in progress.  That made sense to me, but I haven't tested that suggestion because of lack of need to do so. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • r270ba
    Where is the best place to get chunk wood if you don't know anyone with trees :)?

So it looks like chunk wood and taking the platesetter out is the way to go?

@Fred19Flinstone...when you say a lack of need to do so...how do you do it?
    Anderson, SC

• Get this, most of us have it or a version of it. It is awesome, and Tom will take time and help you find out what one is best for you. Give him a call.

Not sure what size egg you have, but they have something for them all.

http://ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    If you mix in wood chunks throughout your lump from the center out and from the fire grate up, you should have continuous smoke throughout the entire cook. I've done a lot of low and slows over 24 hours and have never used up all of the lump or wood chunks. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• If you get the XL adjustable rig/woo2 combo like I did, there is literally enough room on the bottom to put your fist (full of wood chips) in without moving anything.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• dlk7 said:
    If you mix in wood chunks throughout your lump from the center out and from the fire grate up, you should have continuous smoke throughout the entire cook. I've done a lot of low and slows over 24 hours and have never used up all of the lump or wood chunks. 
    I agree with this as well. I have had no problems. However, when one wants to add more, the rig really makes it easy.

• r270ba
    Thanks a lot. I like the way the dlk7 method sounds. I have looked at the adj grid rack from CGS and I like it. Might buy on as well. thanks for the suggestions. Anyone know where to buy chunks instead of chips?
    Anderson, SC

• Badong
    Badong Posts: 126
    dlk7 said:
    This.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I use fruitawoodchunks.com . Very good stuff.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• I did my first smoke this weekend on the egg and I used Cherry Mojo Bricks.  They work out really well.  Cutting them into chunks was a chore.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Unfortunately the design of the setter and standard BGE grids, does not easily accommodate adding wood chips/chunks during a cook. If you could flip up 1/4 of the grid, you can get by the setter (even with legs up) enough to add wood if you have to. Anyone used an 18" Weber flip grid?
    I have learned to put the chips/chunks in with the lump, spread them out and mixed to ensure reasonable smoke. Either chips or chunks works, but if you are in the habit of lifting the dome often, chips will flare more than chunks. Chunks are available from lots of BBQ shops, can run as much as $1 per pound. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  •  

r270ba said:
    @Fred19Flinstone...when you say a lack of need to do so...how do you do it?

This is how I keep smoke going throughout the cook.

Sketch courtesy of Stike.

Flint, Michigan
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    +1 with dlk7-just mix the chips in with the lump load.  I equate a good handful of chips to about a chunk. Liberally (lots fo smoke) put them throughout and whereever the fire travels it wll find the chips.  No need to wrestle with removing the indirect set-up to load the smoke wood.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    X2 what Fred posted. When I get ready for a longer cook I add one layer of lump, layer of wood chips, and repeat unil near top. Never had need p add even on the 18 hour cooks I've done.
    Boom
  • r270ba
    Thanks guys. This helps a lot!
    Anderson, SC

• X2 what Fred posted. When I get ready for a longer cook I add one layer of lump, layer of wood chips, and repeat unil near top. Never had need p add even on the 18 hour cooks I've done.
    +1 Fan.  When I do a low & slow, I scatter the wood throughout the lump.
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I had a neighbor give me 7 bags of smoking sawdust used in an old electric smoker. Oak, apple, cherry, etc.. Any way to use this in the egg? I hate to throw it out.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    @r270ba - if your grocery store doesn't carry chunks, try Home Depot, Lowe's, or Academy. Possible Bass Pro Shop or Cabellas might carry them.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:
    I had a neighbor give me 7 bags of smoking sawdust used in an old electric smoker. Oak, apple, cherry, etc.. Any way to use this in the egg? I hate to throw it out.
    Perhaps you could place the sawdust in a device similar to a smoker box for gas grills and set it on the lump. Looks like this:
  • r270ba
    Thanks Griffin!
    Anderson, SC

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

henapple said:

Perhaps you could place the sawdust in a device similar to a smoker box for gas grills and set it on the lump. Looks like this:

Great idea...I actually have one. Might have to try it. Thanks.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Walmart and Kroger sell wood chunks. So does lowes.

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Academy also.  I've been getting most of my smoking wood from trees around the neighborhood.