Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacing a gasket...suggestions?

tmas
tmas Posts: 35
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm replacing my gasket tonight with a BGE supplied high heat gasket complete with adhesive.  My plan is below, please let me know if I'm missing anything.  Thanks.

1. Remove rest of old gasket with putty knife and wire brush
2. Clean with acetone
3. Wait 30 minutes
4. Apply new gasket, ensuring that it does not hang over the inside edge. I plan to start at the back so the seam is there.

Anything I'm overlooking?!?
XL BGE Katy, TX (otherwise known as Far West Houston)

Comments

• Sounds like a good plan.  My instructions said to get ALL of the old gasket off, implying that it had to be glass smooth.  I couldn't do it, even with acetone, etc.  Turns out, it ain't that particular.  I put the new one on with some rought spots and everything worked great.  

Gig 'em.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I have seen people take off the gasket pretty easily when the ceramic is warm such as after a cook. The warmth aides in the gasket releasing from the ceramic as opposed to taking it off cold. 
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    I used a Roloc disk but, was very careful. 
    Worked really well for me but, it did take several disks to complete.  It was going to take me the whole weekend without it.  I was able to complete the task in about an hour (top and bottom)
    Just my 2 cents.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If some of the gasket is still intact, more fire will make the job easier. Get a propane tank and a nozzle. Heat the gasket remains, and as it bubbles, scrape off. A lot of the adhesive will be removed also. Use a single edge razor to scrape the residue away. Then clean.
  • I'm waiting for Travis to suggest getting a refund on the gasket and just go commando!
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I heard many people testify the gasket comes off easily when the egg is hot.  I did mine cool, but I had a 3M Scotch-rite roloc disk on a die grinder which made quick work of the adhesive residue after scraping.
    Follow the instruction on curing the adhesive...let it cure for a day before using.  Make sure your egg top has a good even seal on the gasket.  You might need to adjust, or at the very least loosen the bands so it applies even pressure on the glue.