Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Game Day with my swing grate (photo heavy)

Budgeezer
Budgeezer Posts: 669
edited October 2012 in Appetizers

Decided to go appetizer crazy for this weekends games.  My favorite of the bunch were the Armadillo Eggs, second were the ABTs, third were the Sea Turtle Eggs and lastly were the moink balls.  I wasn't happy with the quality of the pre made meat balls, next time I will make my own meat balls and see how they turn out.

The eggs were rubbed with Dr BBQ's big time rub, and the moinks were rubbed with dizzy pig cow lick.

The crowd loved them all.

Edina, MN

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    That is my kind of spread!! Love app-e-teasers!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    "Grate" way to break in the Two Tier Rack! Looks like some great game day food! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • did you do those abt's like you would a popper and keep the whole pepper in tact and just hollow out the center or were they cut in half? I have that same jalapeno rack and never thought about using it because the creme cheese would just fall out.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Awesome looking spread!!!
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Budgeezer
    did you do those abt's like you would a popper and keep the whole pepper in tact and just hollow out the center or were they cut in half? I have that same jalapeno rack and never thought about using it because the creme cheese would just fall out.

I got a corkscrew type serrated knife that works great for the getting the insides out of the pepper.  I do like the rack and it makes presentation easy, then I just throw it in the dishwasher.

Edina, MN

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Was that done with the plate setter legs up indirect with a drip pan? Did you use one of the shorter posts with the swing rack?
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    I was on the fence about getting a swing grate - seems VERY helpful for a Large BGE when you want to cook massive amounts, which I love to do.  And your cooks look inspiring and delicious!

BUT!  :)  Your pics lead me to believe the lower grate doesn't fit the LBGE??  Lots of extra space there?  
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• CGW1
    The lower grate is 18" round. Identical to the stock grate.
  • Budgeezer
    gpsegg said:
    Was that done with the plate setter legs up indirect with a drip pan? Did you use one of the shorter posts with the swing rack?

Correct legs up, with drip pan.  I only got the standard post, but you are able to adjust it up an down a small amount.  With this cook no issues.

I was on the fence about getting a swing grate - seems VERY helpful for a Large BGE when you want to cook massive amounts, which I love to do.  And your cooks look inspiring and delicious!

BUT!  :)  Your pics lead me to believe the lower grate doesn't fit the LBGE??  Lots of extra space there?  

Interesting observation, I was just home and lunch and measured to verify and it is indeed 18 inches.  I also put my standard grate on the plate setter and it looks the same.

Edina, MN

• CGW1
    Our lower grate is 18" and the upper tier is 15" and adjustable.  Plenty of room for a lot of food.

We just released 3 new videos that you can find on our website to learn more about it.
  • any recipe for above items?