Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Party Q battery operated controller??

texbagger
texbagger Posts: 90
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I ordered the BBQ Guru, Party Q controller last night, finally decided I wanted to sleep through the night on my next low and slow.  I sort of wanted the wireless unit but really couldn't justify that kind of money, especially since I'm primarily a weekend cooker.  I've got pretty big cook coming up in a couple of weeks that I'm doing for co-workers. Probably will do 2 pork butts and several loads of chicken for Boss' Day where one of my favorite bosses is heading overseas to work for 4 or 5 months, and I *really* want to get this one right.
Just wondering if any of you have this little battery powered party Q device, and what kind of luck you have had with it?

Thanks,
Tex

Comments

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    I have the Q and love it. I have a large and small adapter and the small works on my small and my mini. Word of caution. If the low battery indicator comes on it really does mean it is low. Duh!
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • I had the same logic you had and it's been perfect. I've done numerous overnights or throughout the day while at work with no problems. Just finished two Butts this weekend with the Party Q. The key is getting the temp stabilized with the top vent in the normal position to hold a low temp.
  • Texbagger, I have had a Party Q for almost a year and I love it.  I have used it for over 20 hours on fresh batteries.  Any of the Guru product pretty much make the BGE a set it and forget it cooker.
    Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • Thanks for the comments and feedback.  I'm hoping it gets here quick so I can start using this little party Q!  Sounds like a useful investment.
  • I absolutely loved it when I did my review.  Still do, for that matter, :-)
    The Naked Whiz
  • Holy Smokes! Checked the snail mail box here and the little Party Q arrived!  It will get a good workout this weekend and I'm dying to try it.  Put in the batteries, and have the adaptor on the egg already.  Time to shop for some meat and get this going!  Thanks to all, and to the Naked Whiz, love your website! I have spent hours on it reading to my hearts content! I appreciate your comments and thanks for testing and all that you do.
    More to come later.
    Tex
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I think Naked Whiz covered this in his write up .. but do bring your egg up close to temp before putting the party Q on .. will help on battery life.  that said - I like it a lot.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Had a Digi Q and sold it as I (me) just could not work it. Ordered a Party Q...........

Have it and used it once (not good / I am sure it was me). It's in a box somewhere. Seems EVERYONE but ME can use the thing. Yep, it's me.....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    GLW said:
    I have the Q and love it. I have a large and small adapter and the small works on my small and my mini. 

Good to know. I was wondering last week if there was a controller for a small or mini. Can't remember anybody ever saying anything about one.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Well, I love this thing.  Cooked 2 racks of St Louis style ribs Sunday morning, and they came out perfect.  The Party Q kept my XL at a perfect 250 for hours on one of the windiest days of the year here in South Texas.  It must have been gusting up to 35 mph!  Them ribs are the best Ive ever cooked and a lot of it has to do the the steady temps I experienced.  The Party Q is amazing.  I cooked 2 spatchcock chickens later that evening and same results, steady as a rock temps on the XL BGE! Anybody considering this little controller, just do it!  Wish I had bought it sooner.

And no I don't work for them Guru guys either! I just love being able to control the temps like it does for me.  Frees me up for other important things like football and beer!!!!!!
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    The party Q on a small. The mini has the same bottom vent.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • Mickey
    I have got to dig mine out and give it another try.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• A quick pic with Party Q on the XL BGE.
    Egg.jpg 172.2K
  • Mickey said:

Or work a deal with your buddy centex......always wanted to try one.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey

You are more than welcome to use mine to see how you like them. Have Large and Small/Mini fitting as well.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    texbagger said:
    I cooked 2 spatchcock chickens later that evening and same results, steady as a rock temps on the XL BGE! Anybody considering this little controller, just do it!  Wish I had bought it sooner.

What temp (dome) were you cooking the chicken at?  When I looked at the specs, I was concerned that it might not flow enough for an XL since the fan CFM is the same unit as used for smaller eggs, but if you got 350 - 375* w/o it running flat out that would be good.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Mickey said:

You are more than welcome to use mine to see how you like them. Have Large and Small/Mini fitting as well.
    would love to play around with one and see if I like it.

• Mickey
    John I will find it and call you. Then we can get together.

• Mickey said:
    sounds good. I'll be through on Sunday PM and again on Tuesday evening. I'll be back through a lot over the next several weeks so no hurry.

• Just got mine and used it this past weekend.  It worked like a charm.  I cooked an overnight brisket.  For the first two and a half hours I held the temp at 200 before bumping up to 240 and then to 265.  The brisket was awesome and the Party Q worked flawlessly.  the brisket cooked about 13.5 hours.

NOTE: figured out the key is to make sure your daisy wheel is dialed down very low...it was nearly closed holding at 200 and 240. Once I opened the wheel up it had a tendency to overshoot.

All in all I was very impressed!

• I used it on a large BGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey said:
    sounds good. I'll be through on Sunday PM and again on Tuesday evening. I'll be back through a lot over the next several weeks so no hurry.

How about just stopping at the house in Salado Sunday and you can pick it up on your way.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Mickey said:

Ahem...............
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Ragtop99 said:
    texbagger said:
    I cooked 2 spatchcock chickens later that evening and same results, steady as a rock temps on the XL BGE! Anybody considering this little controller, just do it!  Wish I had bought it sooner.

What temp (dome) were you cooking the chicken at?  When I looked at the specs, I was concerned that it might not flow enough for an XL since the fan CFM is the same unit as used for smaller eggs, but if you got 350 - 375* w/o it running flat out that would be good.
    I ran it at 350 with no issues. I intentionally ran it up from lower to higher (250 to 350) and although slow to climb initially it did great and only slightly overshot the 350 target by 12 degrees which I don't think much mattered.  After all, it's chicken! LOL.  Everything came out great. I think for future cooks I will be able to do overnight cooks without losing any sleep like I have in the past.
  • Mickey
    The Cen-Tex Smoker I thought about it this morning and pulled it for you. Give me a call and you can pick it up. I only have the Large adpter as I forgot and I gave the small with the DigiQ I sold last summer before buying the PartyQ. Get it and try it to see if you like it.

• Mickey said:

The Cen-Tex Smoker I thought about it this morning and pulled it for you. Give me a call and you can pick it up. I only have the Large adpter as I forgot and I gave the small with the DigiQ I sold last summer before buying the PartyQ. Get it and try it to see if you like it.

Thank you DT! I drove through at 5 am Monday so forgive me for not ringing your doorbell :). Back home in Austin. I'll call you after lunch.
  • Mickey,

Um, I wouldn't give CT anything that is battery operated and has party in it's name....just sayin'

• Mickey,

Um, I wouldn't give CT anything that is battery operated and has party in it's name....just sayin'

Not if you want it back :))

• Mickey
    Steven I see no problem. I know his wife and he married so far up his social standing any and all problems can be fixed =))

• Mickey said:
    Steven I see no problem. I know his wife and he married so far up his social standing any and all problems can be fixed =))
    She is a very forgiving person. She has to be scratching her head in private wondering where everything went wrong for her.