Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soft Shell Crab results

Options
Fritz
Fritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We cooked a bit later than usual and I ended up cooking the soft shells at 300* with some orange wood for smoke. I cooked them at about 4 minutes per side with just olive oil brushed on. Afterwards I placed a nice pat of some homemade Lime-Ginger butter from a reccipe at the St. Matthews Seafood Shop.[p]The crabs were very good, but not up to my standards. Next time I will grill them at a higher temp, probabl 500*. I am a bit leary of going too high on the temp for fear of burning up the little legs.[p]A fine result that can be better.[p]Fritz

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Fritz,[p] I agree with you on the higher temperature. 500F sounds about right to me as it will be hot enough to get them crispy, but not hot enough so that the flames are actually kissing the crabs (though it's hard for anything to kiss something who's lips you've just cut off!). I've never tried grilling soft shell crabs. Always had them lightly breaded and sauteed . . .[p]MikeO
  • Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    MikeO,
    IMO, it's gonna be real damn tough to beat a fried softshell! I could eat 'em several meals a day. Damn, i just love 'em![p]B~F