Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bar B Que hash

Options
doubleagle
doubleagle Posts: 6
edited September 2012 in Pork
I am looking for a good receipe for Bar B Que Hash. This is a South Carolina low country but I now live in Texas and cannot find it. Help I am trying to educate my neighbors on the low country way of eating Q

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Not sure about the low country way, but here in Colorado (the high country) we smoke the hash and then enjoy the eating the Q. B-)
  • Baysidebob
    Options

I'm in Californa and have no idea what your concept of "hash" is but I'm really looking forward to responces.

Willing, even eager to be "educated".

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    @doubleagle ill get one for you this weekend. I'm here in SC and from here. We do a huge pulled pork and hash at church.
    Boom
  • mgw619
    Options
    Here is a good one I have based my best hash off of... http://www.bbq-porch.org/recipes/html/r1897.htm
    Evans, GA - 250 Reverse Flow (trailer), Large BGE, custom built cedar table (by me). When in doubt, smoke it.
  • Hashmaker
    Options
    Two types of SC hash I make are real easy. One with potatoes and one without. Both are easy but to do it right it takes time.
    One pork butt
    One small beef roast
    One large onion
    One cup apple cider vinegar
    Whatever dry rub you like
    Cut butt and roast into golf ball size pieces
    Rub with rub
    Dice onion
    Salt/pepper to taste
    Put everything into a pot with a lid and cook over low heat until the meat falls apart, stirring occasionally.
    If you want potatoes in it, when the meat falls apart and you almost have hash, dice a few potatoes and stir into the meat and cook until the potatoes are done. You can play with the recipe to your tastes by adding more or less vinegar or instead of rub, use a small amount of BBQ sauce. You don't need to add a lot of liquid because most of your juice will come from the meat. You can also cook it in a crockpot.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Hashmaker said:
    Two types of SC hash I make are real easy. One with potatoes and one without. Both are easy but to do it right it takes time. One pork butt One small beef roast One large onion One cup apple cider vinegar Whatever dry rub you like Cut butt and roast into golf ball size pieces Rub with rub Dice onion Salt/pepper to taste Put everything into a pot with a lid and cook over low heat until the meat falls apart, stirring occasionally. If you want potatoes in it, when the meat falls apart and you almost have hash, dice a few potatoes and stir into the meat and cook until the potatoes are done. You can play with the recipe to your tastes by adding more or less vinegar or instead of rub, use a small amount of BBQ sauce. You don't need to add a lot of liquid because most of your juice will come from the meat. You can also cook it in a crockpot.
    I like your recipe.  Do you have a corned beef hash recipe you can share?
    Flint, Michigan
  • HarrisFrampton
    Options
    Where were you in the low country? I spent several years in McClellanville before moving to Texas.
    Wimberley,TX
    X-Large,Large, Medium and Small
    17" and 28" Blackstones
  • Hashmaker
    Options
    I've only done corned beef hash a couple of times and I used Alton Browns recipe. It's pretty good.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Hashmaker said:
    I've only done corned beef hash a couple of times and I used Alton Browns recipe. It's pretty good.
    Thanks.  I'll look it up.
    Flint, Michigan
  • doubleagle
    Options
    Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry about hash.
  • davejames0426
    Options

I live in the upstate of South Carolina and made this yesterday and got many compliments.... Good luck...

This recipe cake from the book Smokin' by Myron Mixon page 122....... I just 1/3 the recipe and his says will feed 50 people.......

3 lbs potatoes

1 lb yellow onion

1.5 lb pork - left from some butt a few weeks ago that had been frozen

1.5 lb turkey meat - left from one I had cooked earlier this year

1/3 cup of sugar

40 ounces of crushed tomatoes

40 ounces for creamed corn

40 ounces of tomato sauce

2/3 cup vinegar based BBQ sauce

Added a little water to thin it then placed on the big green egg ar 250 with platesetter (legs up and using three green feet under dutch oven). Cooked for about 8 hours in a 12 quart pot - this made about 9 quarts.

LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC