Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to buy an Egg!

Stargaze
Stargaze Posts: 68
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a budget of $1200 to get my first BGE.  The main problem right now is I don't know the BEST way to get one?  Is it better to get it in person from a dealer or just try to get a good deal online?  I appreciate any assistance.

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    If there's an Eggfest near you I would recommend going to it.  You can presale an Egg at a discounted price, plus you get to watch several cooks use them and can asks questions and get tips.
    They are brand new Eggs only used for the fest.  That's how I got my XL earlier this year.  Worked for me.

Congrats on the soon to be purchase!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    What I would start with is goto Big Green Egg and find a list of authorized dealers in your area (that is the only way to get the lifetime warranty), call them all and ask for prices with all the things you want. Some dealers know everything about the egg and have demo cooks almost every weekend and some just sell them. You can also look for a eggfest  and get a discounted demo egg (that is only used once) with a few eggcessories and full warranty. Some people find amazing deals looking online and others will tell you to beware. Good luck finding one! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    +1 on finding a local eggfest. It can be hard to beat those prices while still maintaining the lifetime warranty. Otherwise, let someone here know where you are located and likely one of us lives nearby or otherwise knows a good dealer near you.

• Don't buy online. Online retailers are not authorized dealers. You will not get the lifetime warranty. I also think a local dealer will take care of any issues that may stride.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited September 2012
    Where are you? And what size do you want?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I got mine from a dealer and that is the only way I would go. It came with a bunch of eggcessories and beat the price i saw at the Teggarkana eggfest. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited September 2012

(IMO) repeat (IMO ONLY) 96+% of the time your better buy will be from a Fest. These demo eggs used for 7 hours only or less. Also at most Fests you get a very good discount on the other items you may want to buy. Lots of the time you are the one cooking on your egg. With lots of help I put on the Salado (TX) EggFest and we sold over 40 demo eggs of all sizes (most were Large). My own Eggs all were Demo eggs. Yes price all but do price the Demo Eggs in your area.

******* Not to open an old wound but, Costo and Sam's at times have Eggs at a hell of a low price. These Eggs are said not to have ANY warranty (same thing said of internet Eggs). But, if at the time you are looking ...........................

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Solson005 said:
    What I would start with is goto Big Green Egg and find a list of authorized dealers in your area (that is the only way to get the lifetime warranty), call them all and ask for prices with all the things you want. Some dealers know everything about the egg and have demo cooks almost every weekend and some just sell them. You can also look for a eggfest  and get a discounted demo egg (that is only used once) with a few eggcessories and full warranty. Some people find amazing deals looking online and others will tell you to beware. Good luck finding one! 
    Can't agree more, regarding buying from a dealer. Visit as many local dealers as you can. In my case, one "dealer" was an outdoor equipment place, between servicing chain saws and lawn trimmers, they gave me a brochure and price list - Another spa dealer asked me to wait for their expert, a nice young lady whose knowledge was that she could tell a mini from an XL, and read the price list. The final dealer had a demo, a well used plate setter because they cooked on it daily. Understood the why and how suggested the appropriate size for our needs. They had some great BBQ sauces and rubs and yes, they also sold spas and fireplaces. Their price was better than the price list. Support to date, excellent. Look around. Good luck
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Occasionally you can find a sell. Paid $700 for my large...not sure if that's a great price but I bought it from my grill shop. Great service.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    An Eggfest demo egg is a great idea if there is going to be one within the time frame of you wanting to purchase your egg.  That is how I purchased mine.  But if there isn't going to be one anytime soon in your area, check to see which company sponsors the Eggfest.  If they are good enough to sponsor the Eggfest, then I would say they are probably going to be a pretty good dealer to deal with.  
  • XL from a fest or regret. Those are your two choices.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    edited September 2012
    Good luck. For that price get a large and small at a fest. Much better and a lot more versatile than just 1 xl or you will have regrets.
  • And be sure to examine some of the unlikely dealers.  Iowa's highest volume Egg dealer is a farm equipment store.  BIG tractors and machines and great prices on Egg packages.  And knowledgeable staff regarding Eggs and BBQ.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • EggerinLA said:

Good luck. For that price get a large and small at a fest. Much better and a lot more versatile than just 1 xl or you will have regrets.

XL here and absolutely no regrets.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    edited September 2012
    Large and small and absolutely no regrets. More versatile. Ha. Tag your it.
  • I suggest going with the best authorized dealer in your area. Use this forum or Google to find out. They are the ones who will be supporting you throughout your BGE experience, both in the short and long term. As to buying at an EggFest, go ahead IF it is very close to your area. Otherwise, what have you gained after the gas and time expended? These things are not cheap so make sure you do what is right for you considering the long term fun and enjoyment you are expecting.
    LBGE and Mini
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

I strongly reccomend that you find a local dealer with a "good" price. A few dollars more now is good investment towards service later, be it warranty or buying tools.

My local dealer that I bought from is outstanding.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I agree with Aviator.  My first XL base cracked after just a few months and my local dealer handled all the warranty issues.  I took pictures of the crack, emailed them to my dealer, the dealer worked with BGE to get the new base, and then the dealer sent two people out to my house to replace the base.  No charges for any of it.  You may never have a problem with your egg, but if you do, a good local dealer will make your life much easier.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• I agree with all those who advise for the dealer.  My placesetter cracked on the first use and was replaced no questions asked.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• I called around to local dealers and found one that had a demo. I paid 500 for my large and 300 for my medium. Absolutely no regrets.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • I called around to local dealers and found one that had a demo. I paid 500 for my large and 300 for my medium. Absolutely no regrets.

Now those are SUPER GOOD prices. I'd buy two med at that price right meow.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    Yeah, Ive been offered my money back more than once.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • I look at it this way, the sooner you get it the sooner you won't be going to restaurants or ordering pizza.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I look at it this way, the sooner you get it the sooner you won't be going to restaurants or ordering pizza.
    +1 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I had a large BGE for 15 years, then got an XL.  Wish i had always had the XL!!
  • Mickey said:
    I'm in Hershey PA.  I figured on going to the Egg fest at Virginia Beach to get mine.
    Did you just say "meow?"
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Stargaze said:

Mickey said:

I'm in Hershey PA.  I figured on going to the Egg fest at Virginia Beach to get mine.

No kidding. I live in Palmyra. I bought mine on 322 at North Forge Home Heating. Great to work with and great service. They've been in business for over 30 years too. They aren't going anywhere. If you are considering a table, think about a concrete top. My buddy makes them. He lives in Etown.

Mark Annville, PA
  • i can get a large for 639 warm springs georgia.

• @Stargaze. The VaBeach fest shows the demo egg at $848. There is a dizzy pig egg fest on 10 Nov that has a large demo egg for $750. The difference that I see is the beach egg comes with wings and lump. Where the dizzy egg comes with a sample pack of dizzy products. I personally do not use the wings but some do. Just thought I would throw that out there as an option. James