Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FTWD instead of FTC?

Options
HDmstng
HDmstng Posts: 192
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Our oven has a warming drawer and I was thinking that could be a good alternative to using a cooler in the FTC method?  Are there other benefits to the cooler that would be lost by using the warming drawer?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The tightness of the seal and insulative properties, possibly. Not all ovens have the same quality of insulation on the warming drawer as the oven. The drawer itself is not always insulated either. Since the cooler is insulated, moisture and heat will be retained inside the cooler and not lost to conduction.

I would guess that you can use the warming drawer but not for as long as a cooler. Plus it not as portable, for obvious reasons. The potluck would have to be at your house.

;)
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Without knowing how the warming occurs, my guess would be some sort of radiant heat coils and/or a fan?  I dunno... but if that's the case, you could end up drying out or overcooking your food if left in there for too long. 

Keep in mind that there's a difference between insulating the heat from escaping that's already stored inside the meat once it's been cooked (what the cooler does) vs keeping the food warm by constantly delivering new heat to it (what the warming feature on your stove would do).

HTH,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Warming drawer works and is OK for a short hold. A foil wrapped butt, no towel, into the warming drawer (or in our case the upper oven set to the warming drawer temp) was held very well for an hour or so. Always used the cooler for anything longer. My "friend" used his dishwasher. It was empty, ran it through a hot rinse cycle to warm it and then put his FT butt on the lower rack (Kitchen-Aid, the lower rack tines fold down) His wife asked why he had not used the microwave, but he already had it in the dishwasher. His cooler was already full of ice and adult beverage and I, I mean he, was not going to move them! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!