Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whoo Hoo swing grate just arrived! Suggestions for first cook?

Options
Budgeezer
Budgeezer Posts: 669
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking wings and ABT's, or maybe spatchcock chicken and sausage.  Any other ideas?image
Edina, MN

Comments

• CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    It all sounds good...don't forget to invite me!!!
    :))
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • BakerMan
    Options

The swing grate system is awesome. IMHO one of the best accessories you can get.  I've had one since last Christmas and it almost never comes off the grill.  I'll cook ABTs on the bottom with the big chicken wing parts (drummets?) and the smaller wing parts on top.  Also good when cooking burgers to move the finished burgers to the top rack to be cheesed.  If I cook a chicken or beef on the bottom I 'll place a 9" cake pan on top rack with squash, asparagus, onions, mushrooms olive oil and salt/pepper.

One word of caution.  Don't leave the swing rack under the plate setter during an indirect cook or you risk warping it.  I warped mine and it took me a while to get it flat again.

There is a video on the web site that shows a brisket on the bottom and a pork butt on the top.

HTH,

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    One word of caution.  Don't leave the swing rack under the plate setter during an indirect cook or you risk warping it.  I warped mine and it took me a while to get it flat again.

I just warped mine and it was an indirect cook with the plate setter.
    What did I do wrong?
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm confused.  you have the SR under the PS for and indirect cook?
  • BakerMan
    Options

@brycos - no not if you are paying attention...;-)  

In my case I was doing a 650 degree pizza cook with plate setter in place legs down.  I'm not sure why I left bottom swing rack on place. Probably because I use it 98% of the time and forgot it was there.  Alcohol was not involved because pizza cooks are too frantic so no beer till all three pizzas are done. 

So for all the new Egg owners out there make sure there are no grates under the plate setter.

@Dan4BBQ

If you have a warped swing grate you can try heating it in the other direction ... and trying to reverse the warp.  After a few weeks of playing blacksmith I finally placed the rack upside down on my concrete shed floor and used the blunt end of a digging bar to "true up" the rack.  in some cases I had to slip 2 x 4s under opposite sides to adjust.  In the end my lower  swing rack went from looking like parabolic reflector to flat within a 1/4" now.

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    Thanks, my PS was in with legs up and the grate on top of the PS.
    I have only used it a few times but it is the same way I used my cast iron grate.