Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Aluminum Pizza Peel Question

Options
bettysnephew
bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Brought home a new aluminum pizza peel from the restaurant supply store.  Do I need to coat it with anything before use?  I have a can of food grade silicon mold release available that I think would work.  Spray it on and buff off and it leaves a very slick finish with little or no residue to transfer to the dough.  Any other suggestions?
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I gave up trying to keep dough from sticking to my metal peel, I now use a wood one (still use the metal one to remove the pie from the Egg).
    However, I've not heard of anyone trying silicone mold release, will be curious to hear how it works for you.
    And if it doesn't, the parchment method would work fine.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• bettysnephew
    Options
    I'll report back after trying it out.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I just use parchment on mine. Your post reminds me of Christmas Vacation. Clark's non nutritive cereal varnish. Lol
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I just use parchment on mine. Your post reminds me of Christmas Vacation. Clark's non nutritive cereal varnish. Lol
    @cortguitarman funny, maybe it only works in the snow...
    After years of making pizza, parchment is the answer. My lovely aluminum peel with exotic mystery wood handle is standing in the garage, I stole one of my wife's 16" aluminum cookie/baking sheets, has no lip on one side - best way to get a pie on and off, well at least for me. after each use it might get washed, but usually suffers the same neglected fate as my stone.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Botch
    Options
    Skiddymarker, I just noticed your signature!   :))  I worked Minuteman up at Grand Forks ND for three years, and again here at Hill AFB for three.  Those doors open a LOT quicker than 19 seconds, during an actual launch!  

• reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    I've got an aluminum peel and didn't coat it with anything - if you are going to use it directly on the pizza dough, you'll need to put some corn meal or flour on it to get the raw pizza dough to slide off - but I use parchment paper - no need to use anything
  • EggerinLA
    Options
    My next toy will be a Superpeel. Solve all of these "problems." http://www.superpeel.com/whatis.html
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Botch, thanks for the correction, I checked the source and looks like the weight is 248 ton, not 748 - it does say 19 seconds, but as always I defer to the real experts, those who have been there. Thanks!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I toured a silo at FE Warren AFB.  They are amazing!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Botch
    Options
    @Botch, thanks for the correction, I checked the source and looks like the weight is 248 ton, not 748 - it does say 19 seconds, but as always I defer to the real experts, those who have been there. Thanks!
    It may be that they can move it in 19 seconds for maintenance/warhead/missile replacement, but I've not seen those operations personally; the faster time is for an actual launch, which (thank goodness) we haven't seen yet!  

• Black_Badger
    Options
    I bought an aluminum peel a month or so ago and have had great luck using plenty of cornmeal without any sprays, oil or parchment. Not saying any of those other options are bad, just superfluous based on my experience. I've been using a pre-made garlic and herb dough from Trader Joe's which tends to be somewhat sticky, but that stickiness is no problem if I use plenty of cornmeal.

Pizza on the BGE is amazing. Good luck and enjoy.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI