Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good places to get BBQ in Nashville?

michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

A friend and I will be flying down to Nashville this Saturday to watch the Lions play the Titans on Sunday. We will be there until monday evening, does anyone know of any good places to hit while we are down there? We plan to go to the Jack Daniels distillery, but what about eating some good food? Thanks...

Jason

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583

I haven't been down there in years and certainly before I started making my own so my critique might be different today - but I enjoyed Jack's quite a bit. Very good ribs.

• You do know that the Jack Daniels distillery is a pretty long haul from Nashville don't you? It will be a pretty drive, but it's close to an hour and a half each way.  

I have never eaten BBQ in Nashville, so I can't comment on that.  

There are a lot of bars to go to on 2nd or Broadway, and there is also Printer's Alley.  I like The Stage and Tootsies the best for music, but there are plenty of great places to go for that.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • My buddy said we are staying right downtown by the stadium. I guess there are lots of bars.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Oh yeah.  There are plenty of places to walk to.  You will have a great time.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    This is the place.  Worth the effort to get there.  Located in Nolensville which is a bedroom community just south of Nashville.

http://www.martinsbbqjoint.com/nolensville
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • tnbarbq said:
    This is the place.  Worth the effort to get there.  Located in Nolensville which is a bedroom community just south of Nashville.

http://www.martinsbbqjoint.com/nolensville

Having just eaten there within the last two weeks, I highly second this recommendation.  Beautiful country drive to get there wasn't bad either.  Very cool place.  Loved this picture hanging above their register...the title was "Pig Sexy".

• Wow, can't wait to try this place! Keep em coming guys!

• Ive eaten at plenty of bbq places but i like the lazy pig best.  its in la vergne on murfreesboro rd.  Its not the nicest place to look at but their food is awesome.. I love the sauce.  
  • K, got 2 places now!

• Jack's BBQ

Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • It seems like there are good places.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I don't know about BBQ, but going out in downtown Nashville to the country bars (which are in endless supply and all within walking distance of each other) is about as much fun as someone should be allowed to have. I have had some serious fun there. Good stuff.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • I have to second or third Martin's, it is worth the short drive.  They don't do whole hogs all the time, during the week they use shoulders only but it is still excellent.  I make it a point to go by Martin's whenever I have business trips to Nashville. 

I have never had their brisket yet but the pulled pork is very good, wings are good, and the redneck taco is a must try. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Sounds great! saturday dinner will be at martins for sure.

• Leaving for Nashville in 3 hours! GO LIONS!!!!!!!

Will or sure be eating BBQ at Martins, and a few other places. Thanks to all for the input.

• gotta go to tootsie's on 2nd tonight. My favorite place to party in Nashville. When you see the bartendresses, you'll know why :) trust centex on this one, you will have a ball
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gotta go to tootsie's on 2nd tonight. My favorite place to party in Nashville. When you see the bartendresses, you'll know why :) trust centex on this one, you will have a ball

In Cen-Tex I trust! We are staying right across the road I guess from the stadium, and have a rental car so we can head to the jack daniels place on monday. Will let you know how it was.

In Cen-Tex I trust! We are staying right across the road I guess from the stadium, and have a rental car so we can head to the jack daniels place on monday. Will let you know how it was.
    I've done it and It's really cool. the weird thing is though, it's in a dry county and you can't get a sip of JD anywhere on the premisis. would be much better if you could do a tasting like on most tours. Check your inbox BTW
  • K, will do.

• Jack's downtown is just OK in my opinion.  It is more for tourists than anything.

There are some great BBQ joints in the Nashville area:
    Whitt's BBQ
    http://www.whittsbarbecue.com/

Bar-b-Cutie
    http://www.bar-b-cutie.com/

Enjoy Nashville!  It is a great city!
  • Neely's I will go there just because I like watching them on tv, great personalities. Martins for sure. And tootsies tonight, im going with my boy cen tex's word on this one.

• Neely's I will go there just because I like watching them on tv, great personalities. Martins for sure. And tootsies tonight, im going with my boy cen tex's word on this one.

You will not be disapointed in tootsie's on a saturday night of an NFL weekend.you might not be able to get in after 9 or 10

You will not be disapointed in tootsie's on a saturday night of an NFL weekend.you might not be able to get in after 9 or 10
    Pictures from the inside of Tootsies will be posted!

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Oh hell yes. I can't wait. I love that place.
  • Big line, will be in soon...

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Big line, will be in soon...
    Still waiting for you Nashville critique!!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    Was in Nashville two weeks ago and ate at the downtown Jack's.  Not as good as what you will do on your own egg but a fun place.  After that go to Broardway Brewhouse.  Over 70 beers on tap.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • Broadway Brew house was cool, Tootsies was awesome, we didn't bother with Jack's. On the way to the Jack Daniels Distillery we stopped at Martins BBQ Joint and it was good stuff. The brisket literally couldn't even be picked up with a fork because it would fall apart, I ate it with a spoon! Everything was to die for there. I had the ribs dry rub Memphis style and enjoyed them. For sure a place to try if you go there, and I will go back there to get the brisket for sure. All bars were shoulder to shoulder as there was a Zac Brown Band concert and the Lions Titans game while we were there. Great place to see, clean city, will certainly go back again!

BEFORE

AFTER :)

MY NEW BBQ :):D

ACTUALLY, THIS STILL CANNOT REPLACE THE GREATNESS THAT IS THE BGE!

• Thanks to all for their input, there are places that we saw that aren't pictured. I would recommend this city to anyone looking for a good time.