Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Surprise! My used LBGE has no gasket!

Grillin_G_Ma
Grillin_G_Ma Posts: 102
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
It was a great deal at $350 for LBGE, side tables and cover. But when I got it home I realized the gasket has been burned off. I have read that dealers will replace the gasket. Will a dealer give me a new gasket if I am not the original owner?

Comments

• Sure they will.  You just have to give them $25 or so first.
    Flint, Michigan
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

$350 for a large BGE? What a steal! I'd cook on it before I worried about the gasket and see if it leaks smoke. I've cooked on Imperial Kamados over the last 30 years and they have a paper thin cloth gasket but if they've been cooked on a bunch they can seal themselves. 

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • I would just buy a new one and install. Plenty of videos online to show how. Make sure you get a high temp gasket.
  • Try it without gasket for a few cooks, there are members on here who never use a gasket. If it leaks or will not snuff, then pick up a Nomex for $30, a Rutland for $20 or meet your local dealer, not such a bad idea, and get one from him. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • My original owner LBGE also doesn't have a gasket, and hasn't had it for months.  No hurry on a new one.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I put on a Rutland last week after frying mine with a clean out burn. Cost me $20 with overnight shipping, from amazon with the Permatex copper gasket maker. Easy install took about an hour with cleaning dome removal etc. let it cure 24 hrs and reassembled no leaks and a nice cushion on the dome.