Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

drying steaks in the fridge

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought a bonless beef ribeye roast at Costco the other day and cut it into 1.5" thick steaks last night, then put them on a metal rack on the bottom shelf of the fridge.  This morning, they're already looking pretty dry.  Assuming I plan to either salt them or apply some sort of BBQ dry rub before grilling them tonight, is it going to stick at all...or will I need something as a binder?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    It will be fine

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    When I dry age ribeyes I leave the roast whole. I dry age for 30 days and then slice. I freeze the ones I don't eat... 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    dry aging does two main things - 1. reduces moisture which makes the beef taste more concentrated.  2. Enzymes in the meat break down the tissue and make it more tender.

A few days in the fridge probably isn't enough time to make it taste much different.  If the rub or salt doesn't stick you can use some water or soy sauce or something.  Probably will develop enough condensation when you pull it from the fridge to be ok.
    Don't think he's attempting dry aging guys. He just put them in the fridge overnight. He could salt them heavily a couple of hours before cooking to bring the moisture to the surface.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I don't think op is trying to dry age his steaks in that sense. It sounds to me like he's just drying the surface so they sear properly.
  • njl
    Options
    Yeah...24h on a rack in the fridge isn't really dry aging...but it did dry the surface quite a bit.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    I agree with nolaegghead, once you bring em out of the fridge, after about 10 minutes, unless your house is as cool as a meat locker, you will have enough condensation on the cool meat to bind the rub. If you need more - quick spritz or wipe with a wet hand will usually do the trick. 

Discovered this with a spatched chicken, was really dry and I almost oiled it, until it sat on the counter for 10 minutes. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • njl
    Options
    I sat them out (still on the rack) for about 90 minutes before grilling them.  By the end of that time they were dripping and had puddles under them.  So much for drying them out in the fridge overnight.