Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Kettle-Q tips?

Baysidebob
Baysidebob Posts: 489
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Latest toy, a Kettle-Q arrived today.

I know at least one of you has one because I learned of it on this forum.

Any tips on the best ways to use it?

Thanks

bob

My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    edited September 2012
    I had never heard of the Kettle Q.  Here is a neat You tube demo.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • get the egg hot. than close the bottom vent, leaving the egg open can lead to SCORCHING TEMPS
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited September 2012
    I gave mine away. Found I just did not use it and got tired of looking at it in the storage area.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    My tip is to sell it and buy a Big Green Egg.... ;)
  • vidalia1 said:
    My tip is to sell it and buy a Big Green Egg.... ;)
    Uh.....It's designed to fit into my large BGE
  • I bought a Griddle Q before they came out with the Kettle Q. Good concept and well built. I use mine on a Weber gasser. I find the cooking surface a little confining, maybe should have gone a little bigger. Works great for that good old diner food though. Also does good teppenyaki.

Also as mentioned here, temperature control may be an issue as the egg gets air and ramps up. I recommend you start with a small fire and let it stabilize with the Kettle Q inside for at least  30 min. I wouldn't think the lower vent needs to be open more and about 1/2 inch when you open the dome to start cooking.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Got one for my gasser and it fits my Egg. I love it. Brings another dimension to outdoor cooking. The thing is built like a tank.
  • I love it! No more bacon smell filling up the house for a couple of days.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    What is the advantage of this rather than just using a cast iron griddle?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Griffin said:
    I'd guess it would be the back-splash to keep everything on the pan and the grease trap in the front. Helps prevent flare-ups and allows for intact arm hair. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Griffin said:
    I'd guess it would be the back-splash to keep everything on the pan and the grease trap in the front. Helps prevent flare-ups and allows for intact arm hair. 
    It also appears to be sloped so you can keep food out of the grease if needed.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Eggucated said:
    I love it! No more bacon smell filling up the house for a couple of days.
    What's wrong with bacon smell in the house?  I wish I could invent candles that smell like bacon grease and lump charcoal.  I'd be a millionaire overnight!! ;)

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2012
    Griffin said:

None.  IMO, the sides create more of a hassle than advantage.  It is much easier to flip foods without the steep walls of a skillet or kettle-q.  The edges of a cast iron griddle come up at least a 1/4" to keep the grease from spilling over.  If it builds up, I just take a paper towel and soak it up.  The grease trap would be ok for scraping the burnt residue into during use.  I just loosen it up with a flat spatula and the paper towel takes care of that too.

Do the kettle qs develop a seasoning as used?  The ones I have seen used look new(unseasoned).  I saw a video where a guy used a scrub sponge and water to clean his SS griddle after use.  All of the residue was removed and it was returned to like new, unseasoned condition.   

This is where the CI shines.  It is essentially a nonstick pan on the egg, which gets better with time/use. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mickey
    Focker said:
    Griffin said:

None.  IMO, the sides create more of a hassle than advantage.  It is much easier to flip foods without the steep walls of a skillet or kettle-q.  The edges of a cast iron griddle come up at least a 1/4" to keep the grease from spilling over.  If it builds up, I just take a paper towel and soak it up.  The grease trap would be ok for scraping the burnt residue into during use.  I just loosen it up with a flat spatula and the paper towel takes care of that too.

Do the kettle qs develop a seasoning as used?  The ones I have seen used look new(unseasoned).  I saw a video where a guy used a scrub sponge and water to clean his SS griddle after use.  All of the residue was removed and it was returned to like new, unseasoned condition.   

This is where the CI shines.  It is essentially a nonstick pan on the egg, which gets better with time/use. 

Very + 1
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    edited September 2012
    As I said above, as someone who has actually used both (has both in my arsenal) and not guessing, the Kettle Q is awesome and offers distinct advantages. As with any review, I dismiss anyone's opinion of something they have never used.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited September 2012
    EggerinLA said:
    As I said above, as someone who has actually used both (has both in my arsenal) and not guessing, the Kettle Q is awesome and offers distinct advantages. As with any review, I dismiss anyone's opinion of something they have never used.
    Fine, fair enough - as someone who has both in your "arsenal" - then please provide some specific feedback.  Saying it offers "distinct advantages" and brings "another dimension" are meaningless buzz phrases. 

At least the other folks are offering specific pros & cons to the discussion.  That's like saying my new car is "top of the line" but w/out offering specifics, nobody knows what that means.  I could have a Yugo, and a "top of the line" Yugo would STILL pale in comparison to a base model Cadillac, so my catch phrase "top of the line" means about as much as "distinct advantages" or "another dimension."
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • I would, but how you asked it is rather arrogant and belittling IMO (please no one come to his defense--that is the way I see it and I'm entitled to that opinion), so I will refrain.  To the others, do a Google search about the product and read the reviews from actually owners.  Then make a judgement.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited September 2012
    EggerinLA said:
    I would, but how you asked it is rather arrogant and belittling IMO (please no one come to his defense--that is the way I see it and I'm entitled to that opinion), so I will refrain.  To the others, do a Google search about the product and read the reviews from actually owners.  Then make a judgement.
    hmmm, how about this:

Oh please, pretty please, w/ sugar on top, oh great EggerinLA, could you PLEASE grace us w/ your wisdom of the Kettle-Que?

Is that better?

BTW, since you felt the need to send me a snide lil private message, I'll post the response here in public as I'm not afraid to do so & I don't need to do things in private:

EggerinLA's snippy whiny private message to me: 
    I have read a lot of your posts (some rather strange long posts that are very condensending and arrogant IMO) and frankly I don't care for you.  I respectfully ask you to leave me along and don't quote me anymore.  Something about you seems off kilter and I don't want to be a part of it.

My public response: 
    ummm, I'll quote whomever I want, thank you.  As long as I'm following the Terms of Use of the forum, then I can make as long a post as I want, and I can quote whomever I want.  You cannot control who I can quote, you aren't my Daddy.  And while we're on the topic of making requests, I'd like to request that you don't send me any more unsolicited private messages. 

Besides, you still did not offer anything specific to the topic about the Griddle-Que or Kettle-Q.  For all we know, you could be the manufacturer trying to drum up business. 

So please, unless you want this thread to devolve rather quickly, please offer up some specific statements, otherwise folks will see your ambiguous catch phrases for what they are:  MEANINGLESS. 

Thanks!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    edited September 2012
    You are right.  And I have a right to just ignore you.  Ignored.

If an adult asked me to leave them alone, as an mature person I would.  Thus why I sent you a private message (private being the key word).  I'm not going to play this game you want to play.  Life is too short for that.  Good luck to you. 
  • I have very nicely seasoned carbon steel pans and cast iron dutch ovens.  "Seasoning" is a layer of carbon that builds up on the metal and leaves a smooth surface over the rough surface of cast iron.  It's great and pretty.  It is not "non-stick".  Throw an egg on a hot "seasoned" pan with zero oil and see what happens.  The pic is of a stainless steel thing I used to grill onions on my Weber and left in the Q overnight many times.  The smokey carbon-rich environment of the coolng Q has "seasoned" it.  Stainless steel is already "smooth" and doesn't need to be seasoned.  The comfort breakfast food you get in a "diner" is likely cooked on a stainless steel grill.  I understand and share the love of cast iron but it isn't the only surface on which good food may be cooked.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited September 2012
    EggerinLA said:
    You are right.  And I have a right to just ignore you.  Ignored.

If an adult asked me to leave them alone, as an mature person I would.  Not a big deal.
    ummm, you sent me an unsolicited PRIVATE message.  First, any message posted PUBLICLY has a right to be commented on.  Secondly, private messages are usually meant for exchanging private ideas, emails, etc, and not for snide lil comments.  When I get snide lil comments in private, I make them public, so everyone can see the 2 faces of the person.  I have nothing to hide, thus I do my stuff in public.

Third, you said you were "mature" but in your private message you stated that my posts were "strange, condescending, and arrogant" and said that you "don't care" for me, and finally suggested that I was "off kilter." 

Now, I dunno, but none of those statements seem very nice, nor do they seem very "mature."  Usually the ones who have to proclaim that they are something (ie, "mature" or "tough" or "intelligent") are NOT what they proclaim & they feel the need to try to convince others by proclaiming it.  Those that "are" something don't have to shout it - they just "are."

But thanks though!! 

BTW, back to topic - any specifics on the Kettle-Q?  Or is it... "mind blowing"?? (another useless catch phrase) :D

P.S.  I'm not playing a "game" dude - you sent me a private message which was not very nice, and now you're trying to play the victim & suggest that I'm attacking you.  Go through & look at who started calling names first - HINT:  it wasn't me. 

P.P.S.  Also, in your 2nd post regarding the Kettle-Q, which also did not offer any specific information, you stated "As with any review, I dismiss anyone's opinion of something they have never used." 

So basically you're dismissing folks who ARE offering specific information - you don't think that's a bit condescending & arrogant??? Hello pot, ummm, it's the kettle... and ummmm, you're black!!
  • I have very nicely seasoned carbon steel pans and cast iron dutch ovens.  "Seasoning" is a layer of carbon that builds up on the metal and leaves a smooth surface over the rough surface of cast iron.  It's great and pretty.  It is not "non-stick".  Throw an egg on a hot "seasoned" pan with zero oil and see what happens.  The pic is of a stainless steel thing I used to grill onions on my Weber and left in the Q overnight many times.  The smokey carbon-rich environment of the coolng Q has "seasoned" it.  Stainless steel is already "smooth" and doesn't need to be seasoned.  The comfort breakfast food you get in a "diner" is likely cooked on a stainless steel grill.  I understand and share the love of cast iron but it isn't the only surface on which good food may be cooked.
    Good post.  Thanks.
  • At the local Farmers' Market there's this Pakistani guy who fast-ball pitches a lump of dough onto a big hot rock and turns out the best naan bread I've ever eaten.  Hmmmmm..............If I get his recipe I wonder if I could do that on a pizza stone in the BGE?
  • This one is fun too.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • At the local Farmers' Market there's this Pakistani guy who fast-ball pitches a lump of dough onto a big hot rock and turns out the best naan bread I've ever eaten.  Hmmmmm..............If I get his recipe I wonder if I could do that on a pizza stone in the BGE?
    How does that work?  Is the rock vertical?  I bet if he were Canadian he would use a hockey stick and slapshot it against the rock!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Griffin
    This took an interesting turn. I was just asking a question out of curiosity, looking for honest feedback, not suggesting one was better than the other. Never seen one in person or in action so I was curious. Didn't see this coming.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey

Griffin said:
    This took an interesting turn. I was just asking a question out of curiosity, looking for honest feedback, not suggesting one was better than the other. Never seen one in person or in action so I was curious. Didn't see this coming.
    Jason you seem to be a troublemaker, my only question: Do you have a kilt?

• Griffin
    That's me....a big troublemaker. :ar! No I don't, will you still admit me to Salado?

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Griffin said:
    That's me....a big troublemaker. :ar! No I don't, will you still admit me to Salado?
    Will move the request to our admissions chair: Travis
    :ar!

• Kilt or eye patch, your choice.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.