Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First full meal on the egg

miscjames
miscjames Posts: 78
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Well today was my first complete dinner on the egg (well everything but the bread). And I can say it was a little more work then I thought it would be. But everything came out pretty well and I had fun doing it. I learned a lot and got a chance to use my LBGE and MBGE in combo :)

Menu
2 - 5 pound pork shoulders LAS to 195. Foiled then pulled when served
Whole Zucchini 350 for 30mins coated in EVOO and Costco Steak rub (this rub was a little spicy for some so I will probably go with just S&P next time.)
Grilled Corn 350 for ~20 mins coated in butter and S&P (did them in the same pan as the Zucchini so they got a little EVOO and a minor pit of steak rub on them)
Wife made some buns with a bread recipe that tasted like Outback’s bread (Home Run Baby!).
Topped it off with coleslaw
For desert did the apple pies in the apples 350 for 1 hour while we ate, with V ice cream (http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142376/apple-pie-baked-in-an-apple)

Invited some friends over and they brought some pasta salad and banana pudding.
Everyone seemed pleased and we had good times.

Comments

• Looks really good, nice cook. For the zukes, try an Italian spice mix with a touch of garlic.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Ahhh.....the feeling of accomplishment after cooking a whole meal on the Egg...you got to be feeling pretty good! You'll find out it gets easier with time and practice. Everything looks like it came out great.

I like to cut my zucks lengthwise into planks for grilling. Takes less time to cook and works out great (just an idea you might want to try).

Any way you can get your wife to share her bread recipe? I haven't been to Outback in years, but I think I remember liking their bread.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Looks great.  I have had good luck slitting my zukes and sprinkling them with balsamic vinegar and then sprinkling with some grated parmesan. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.