Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 pork shoulder cook

mtnbikeninja
mtnbikeninja Posts: 36
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Please read my theory of how to cook 8 pork shoulders in 2 batches and any advice would be appreciated.  I'm a little nervous since I'm cooking for 150-200 people and want to get it right. 

So, all 8 8lb shoulders need to be completed by 7:30-8:30a Saturday to serve around 11:00a.  I'm cooking only 8 because they are having sandwiches and sides at the event.

Here's my theory

Start 4 shoulders Thursday night around 8pm at a pit temp of 250 degrees

Pull the shoulders when they reach 195, should take 15-17 hours at 250 degree pit temp

Reload charcoal and wood chips Friday around 12p-1p and put the other 4 shoulders on

While the second batch is cooking, pull the original pork shoulders apart and put the meat in tin foil pans, refrigerate

Pull the second batch at temp 195 hopefully around 7a-8a Saturday, double wrap and place in cooler

Put the first batch in oven until warm

Drive to event and pull the meat on the second batch and mix with the first batch

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I would say buy another egg :) Just kidding. Sounds like a good plan. I like the mixing of the two batches together. Your times sound good. Not sure how adding lump to an already burning grill will work for low temps. If I have too much lump burning, I find it's more touchy to maintain low temps.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Well, the good news is that I have a bbq guru cyberq so that should help.
  • I would be inclined to move the burning coals to one side to clear the grate holes and add new lump. Stir everything together so your lump isn't burning up from the bottom so much.

Steve 

Caledon, ON