Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre-sales questions (post number 5?)

Options
733102243 Posts: 38
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Maybe instead,  Pre-Sales Questions should be called NOOB Questions...

There is a Pre-Sales forum but it seems to be the illegitimate, red-haired, step-forum (no offense to gingers or b*astards)  - there is very little activity in it. I haven't bought my EGG yet. Nor has user ShoresDiver. He (I assume he) has valid questions that someone here can answer. Maybe they have been answered already - in that case? How about a link?

Until I hit it yesterday, there were like, 4 views. WTF? Here's his message - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143430/am-i-making-the-right-decision-please-help#latest

And my, not-informed-by-experience answer.

This Pre-Sales forum should be better monitored IMHO. I haven't bought an Egg yet but, very probably will. OTOH, I could very easily decide to buy a Primo or other simply based on lack of interest in this forum. Just sayin'.

First impressions carry a lot of weight. Pre-Sales is all about first impressions.

I've been lurking here for a while and am picking-up information as I go. Also from NakedWhiz and BBQ-Brethren.

Some things are self-evident as far as my needs go:

1- EGG not offset smoker

2- Large (or maybe XL)

3 - Some kind of WiFi accessible controller

4 - Stainless charcoal grate?

5 - Nest -

6 - PlateSetter

7 - Some kind of device to maximize the # racks I can cook concurrently.

Mostly planning to do slow cooks of Pork shoulders and ribs with an occasional Tri-Tip (though I have that covered pretty well with my gas grill and a smoke box). More on Pork. I absolutely love fine swine. When I lived in DC, I thought nothing of driving 5 hours down 95 to hit Wilbers or better yet, Skyline BBQ. Eastern NC is to me, what Carmine St. is to Pizza and Santa Maria is to tri-tip. I was introduced to Eastern NC BBQ before my 5th birthday. Living in Southern California makes quick trips to Wilbers impossible but I still have a craving for that little bun stuffed with vinegary pork goodness and topped with slaw. Pizza? We got credible pizza within 3 miles of home. Barbeque to most here is a verb.

Anyway, I have more questions - where should I post them if I don't find answers browsing here? Realizing that opinions are like excretory orifices (everybody has one), have at it - the more opinions based on experience, the better.

Like here's one of my pressing questions - CyberQ or Stoker? Why?

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    If you are maximizing grates andyou seem to have money to spend, then I advise against the platesetter and go with the Adjustable Rig fron ceramicgrillstore.com.  You can get multiple grates and go indirect.  I don't have a WiFi controler so I can't help there.  Stainless charcoal grate is by HighQ.  I'm going to get one myself.  Everyone says it really cuts down on airflow problems.  In case you didn't know, you control the temperature by controlling the airflow.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Baysidebob
    Options
    If you are maximizing grates and you seem to have money to spend, then I advise against the platesetter and go with the Adjustable Rig fron ceramicgrillstore.com. 
    My (inept) dealer did not have a plate setter.  I got the AR more quickly than said dealer could get me a plate setter.  I'm pleased.  Go with a combo rig that suits you.  Note: what you "plan to do" and what you "will do" may be far different as you get into it.  Spatchcocked chicken and tri-tips are easy-squeezy company fare.  Next step would be the wok and my personal favorite is the swing grate for lots of stuff.  Today amazon delivered my Kettle-Q and Wife and I are planning first brunch.  Many folks describe a sail boat as a hole in the water to throw thousand dollar bills into.  BGE isn't quite that bad and you can EAT what you do.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited September 2012
    Options

I didn't know there is a Pre-Sale Questions forum! 

Most of the posting and viewing happens right here in the EggHead Forum.  Granted those who use the "Recent Discussions" or "Latest Posts" links should see posts like that but some won't.  EDIT: I just posted a response to ShoresDiver's post but it doesn't appear in "Latests Posts" so apparently the only way to see that is to actively look at the Pre-Sale Questions forum.  Odd.

In regards to the stainless charcoal grate or HighQ, I'm not convinced it is needed for a Large and would suggest you wait to see if you have any airflow problems before spending the $s.  I have one for my Small (a size known for some airflow issues) but personally I'm not having any airflow issues with my Large.

As for your Stoker vs Cyber Q question, I have no experience with any BBQ Guru product but know that many folks own them and love them.  You'll find the same with Stoker owners (I own the old non-wifi version and have been very happy with it).  If you use the Search feature here on "Stoker Guru" or "Cyber Stoker" you'll get a lot of threads with people chiming in for both manufacturers.  I think it really boils down to comparing features and seeing how well those features meet your needs.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
    Options

This forum's software/layout is a little different from most - I can't always find pre-sales. Maybe they should just 'roll it into' the main area?

I'll wait on the SS grate .

There seems to be a lively debate among CyberQ and Stoker advocates. NakedWhiz has a good review of each. I need to re-read them. Since I plan to be doing long cooks - the ability to monitor from my office will be really helpful.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Likewise, I didn't know there was a pre-sales forum. Maybe check the corporate site?

Ummm, if you are at the office, how is any blower controller going to stop the fire from burning straight down, and going out, or just stirring the lump to clear ash block up?

The controllers are great pieces of hardware, but really, I find it a lot more pleasant to be able to tend my Eggs (not hard at all) and enjoy the sweet smell of BBQ in the making.

For me, being able to sit in the sun, or shade, and enjoy some beverages of choice while smelling the 'Q to come is worth a whole lot.

My SIL, whose almost always tapping his cell, is enjoying doing that near his Egg.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    I also did not know that there was a "pre-sales" forum, and I'm guessing most others don't know this as well, because I have my profile setup to show "latest posts" - and I even scrolled through all the other forum titles & STILL did not see a "pre-sales" forum.  So I'm guessing that somewhere in the software it is NOT being filtered properly. 

At any rate, I read through your responses & you seemed to answer them all quite proficiently!!

The only other thing I'd add is that the person may want to buy or build a table as an alternative solution to the nest.  That way it can be wheeled around much easier (as well as making it much harder to steal).  If theft was an issue, I'd also think about getting a logging chain & running it around the handle (where the lid meets up w/ the base) & then running the other end to a telephone pole or some other large, unmovable object.  (though, if you're worried about someone stealing something out of your yard in your own neighborhood, you've got bigger problems & should seriously think about moving anyway)!! heh
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Little Steven
    Options

HH

I just looked at it and it seems to be a grouping of regular posts, by subject,  from this forum and the old one.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
      Many folks describe a sail boat as a hole in the water to throw thousand dollar bills into.  BGE isn't quite that bad and you can EAT what you do.
    BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options

HH

I just looked at it and it seems to be a grouping of regular posts, by subject,  from this forum and the old one.

Interesting, I had to click on "Forums" to see the list on the LHS, then I hovered over top of the "Pre-Sales" forum, and saw that it was hidden.  A couple other forums were like that as well (I think "Valentine's Day" and something else).  I "un-hid" them. 

Thanks LS!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Sorry your questions went unanswered. I, like others, only view 'recent' or the main forum. Some weird setup on site and certain topics are hidden. I just checked and noticed many topics I'd never seen. I can vouch this forum is incredibly helpful.
    Boom
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    733102243 said:

Thanks for the info about the coals. I will  keep mine outside but, with a cover. I don't want to repeat a friend's 'cover disaster'. He put the cover back on his gas grill when one of the burners was on low. It takes a long time to remove a melted cover. :-)

Any thoughts about rust prevention? We live on a hill about 3 blocks from the ocean. Great view but, the salt air is a constant battle with any metal, painted surface etc.

My guess is that the nest, handles etc. can be waxed with the same wax I use for the cars but, the hotter areas?

@733102243 - I'm moving your last post in the Pre-Sales Questions forum over here so it can be seen by a lot more folks.  I've seen the effects of the salty air but I'm too far inland to encounter that.  Hopefully some who live near a salty beach climate like you can give you some tips on rust prevention. 

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
    Options

" I'm moving your last post in the Pre-Sales Questions forum over here so it can be seen by a lot more folks."

Thanks!

733102243 Posts: 38
    edited September 2012
    Options

" I'm moving your last post in the Pre-Sales Questions forum over here so it can be seen by a lot more folks."

Thanks!

gdenby : "Ummm, if you are at the office, how is any blower controller going to stop the fire from burning straight down, and going out, or just stirring the lump to clear ash block up?"  Good question. Drive home? :-)

I suspect most of my cooking will take place when I'm either working from home or within 15 minutes of home. My first low and slow cooks are going to be in the realm of 12-14-hours (6lb pork butt?)so, typically overnight Friday/Saturday/Sunday - something that will wake me up if there's a problem would be great.

I work in I.T.  After a day moving 0s and 1s around 'in the cloud' I enjoy working on the cars, in the garden or cooking. I can actually touch what I'm working on, get grease under my nails, wear gloves or get burned etc. really different from my work.

The convenience that a CyberQ or Stoker provides is tempting. That said, neither can substitute for a well-built, well-tended fire. The only 'digital devices' that the old school pitmasters I've seen in Eastern NC or Santa Maria, CA  use are connected to their hands.

• Socalcajudo
    Options
    What part of SoCal you from? Have you baught your egg yet?
    Options

L.A - Westside/Southbay. Haven't bought the egg yet - looking. Found a couple on Craigslist but have decided to buy new:

1 - Warranty

2 - ability to break it in slowly

etc.