Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plank question

Options
Rich
Rich Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on cooking salmon for dinner tonight on my egg. I have read seveal recipes on cooking salmon using a plank. Some say to soak the plank in water some don't. Any general guidelines on plank soaking?
Thanks
Rich

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Rich, I soak the plank in water and put it on the grill until it's spitting hot. Then I add the fish, etc. JCA[p]I know a guy who sells planks and he puts the fish on without letting the plank heat up first....

• kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Options
    Rich,
    The instructions on the planks I bought (cedar) were to soak for at least 2 hr. in water and then season the plank if you would like (rough side of the plank down towards the fire), then put the plank and the salmon on the grill. I do it for about 30 min. at 450-500 deg and it is the best salmon I have ever had!
    Good luck!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Rich,
    like julie, i soak the cedar plank first (in cold water for about 2 - 4 hours. . .put the plank on the grill at 400 degrees... wait for it to start 'crackling', then lay the fish on. .. . best fish i've ever eaten!!