Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buttage

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone. I've been out of touch for the last two weeks...at the beach. Yep, it's a tough assignment, but someone's gotta do it. Hilton Head was EGGCELLENT. Beautiful weather with warm ocean water.... Vacations go so quickly![p]Anyway, I'm planning to BBQ a Boston Butt for some friends this weekend. Four adults and 6 children. How much butt should I order? Any ideas for cooking time? I had planned on around 18-20 hours, but I know it largely depends on the size. Opinions?[p]We'll be seeing you all at Eggtoberfest this year. Made arrangements with friends in GA last week, so it's a go! I understand, unofficially, that Eggtoberfest 2K is slated for October 20-22.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bdavidson,
    I usually figure 1 pound per adult. Cooked weight is closer to 1/2 pound. Two 4-5 pounders would be perfect for your group, and will net you some leftovers probably. A 9 pounder would also work well, but would take much longer to cook than 3 smaller ones.[p]My last butt took 3 hours/pound at 250 indirect. The more I learn, the more I think 250 works best for me as a minimum for indirect lo/slo....especially if you have liquid in the drip pan.[p]Have fun. I love those North Carolina Beaches. Don't git much better. Happy pulling.
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sorry. I said:
    A 9 pounder would also work well, but would take much longer to cook than 3 smaller ones.[p]I meant two smaller ones. Maybe see what you can find, and what looks good before you decide on one or two.[p]NB[p]