Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo pork butt question

Options
grillingunner
grillingunner Posts: 116
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am kind of confused. The last butt I smoked using the turbo method cooked at about 350 for 7.5 hours. It was only 5.5 lbs. I just put on two 9 pounders last night thinking they would take about an 1.5 hour per pound. I woke up this morning and the egg is sitting rock solid at 300 and one of the butts was at 193 and the other at 187. They had both only been on about 6 hours. Does this sound like they are cooking way to fast? I hope they turn out well because they are for my sons first birthday. I am planning on pulling them at 200 internal temp.
LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    edited September 2012
    Options
    First rule-believe your calibrated indications-so if your thermo is on then what you are experiencing is " no two hunks of meat behave the same", although consider yourself lucky that the two butts are so close in temp.  That said, I have seen butts (at around your dome temp) rocket from 40 to 185 (6 hours) then take 3 more to get to the low 190's.  Patience is the watchword-that and finish temp.  Enjoy the end results.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • grillingunner
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I used the method. I am going to leave them in the foil and warm them up a little right before the guest arrive. Pics to follow
    LBGE And MINI Egg