Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd packer Brisket but 1st on the XL

bigphil
bigphil Posts: 1,390
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a 12.82 pound packer @$3.25 per pound .Will be the first one on my XL figuring to put it on about 6/7PM tonight at 265 grid temp thinking it should take 1.5 hours per pound at least , hoping for a about a noon time finish . i have most of the DP rubs kinda thinking of using red eye unless anyone can suggest another of the DP rubs to use .
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2012
    bigphil said:
    Picked up a 12.82 pound packer @$3.25 per pound .Will be the first one on my XL figuring to put it on about 6/7PM tonight at 265 grid temp thinking it should take 1.5 hours per pound at least , hoping for a about a noon time finish . i have most of the DP rubs kinda thinking of using red eye unless anyone can suggest another of the DP rubs to use .

I did redeye on my last brisket and it was really good. I would have done it again today but Cazzy sent me some rub to try out so I used that. at 265 grid you will be on the low end of 1.5hrs per lb. I would put it on a little later and count on 1-1.25 hrs per lb at that temp. I would shoot for a 9-10pm launch for a noon lunch at that temp if it were me
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bigphil
    @Cen-Tex Thanks 9/10pm it is then , might hit it with a little swamp venom also 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • bigphil
    well was told we have a family function that i forgot about (or wasn't told about ) so the brisket has to go on now . Rubbed with heavy coat of red eye express dusting of swamp venom and dizzy dust injected with better than bullion . hickory and apple wood chips and chunks BBQ guru set at 265 degrees . plan is to slice it all down when done have a dinner or two and freeze the rest 
  • bigphil
    woke up at 4:30am egg holding steady at 265grid thanks to the guru and brisket looking really good at 182 internal .should be ready way before we need to leave today 
  • bigphil
    edited September 2012
    pulled at internal temp of 205 probe slid in nice and easy . placed to rest and will carve up shortly 
  • bigphil said:
    pulled at internal temp of 205 probe slid in nice and easy . placed to rest and will carve up shortly 
    Now thats a great breakfast.  Beats the pancakes I made the kids.
  • bigphil
    All sliced up nice firm tasty bark and moist meat . red eye express sure is tasty 
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Great looking bark!  I assume it tasted as good as it looks. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Nice bark, good taste, good smoke ring, and moist...sounds like you nailed that one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • bigphil
    edited September 2012
    Tasted awesome was just about melt in your mouth, bark was nice and firm I think red express will be my go to rub for briskest for now on .very pleased with how it turned out