Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need quick advice on cooking this sucker...sous vide or low-slo?

jimreed777
jimreed777 Posts: 324
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Having trouble finding a recipe for this. Searched here and came up confused.

I was thinking rub...bring to 135 internal on the egg with some hickory smoke and then cranking the egg to 600 and searing one minute a side to finish.

I am itching to sous vide a big cut of beef though...opinions? 

Comments

• low and slo for pulled beef. Sous vide will take 5 days. You are going to need to take this to 200 internal or it's going to be very tough. This is a roast so do it low and slow (275-300 dome) for about an hour per lb then pull it like pulled pork for sandwiches, You'll be happy.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • how long will this thing take? any ideas?

can I do 6 pm dinner today - or should I rub and put it in the fridge for tomorrow dinner?
  • sure. do it at 300 dome and get it going now. Put a good rub on it and let er rip. Should be awesome
  • Maybe I read the label incorrectly, if this is sirloin tip (very popular in Canada), it can be served at 140F, sliced thin, best with gravy. It is not as tender as a rib or tenderloin, nor is it as tough as an inside/outside/eye of round - kind of in between as far as tenderness and flavour goes. 
    Our usual size is around #3 
    Use a CI pan and sear it (insert garlic and go easy on the rubs as the CI sear will burn them), then on a 250-300F indirect until internal is around 135F, off and rest for at least 10 minutes. 
    Oven sear, egg at 475-500F, put on roast (lots of rub is OK), indirect, slow egg down to 250F, vents almost closed - do not snuff it. The roast is usually cooked by the time egg hits target temp of 250F, takes about 2-3 hours total. 
    Here is an oven recipe that might give you some ideas.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I didn't see that it was a sirloin roast. I was thinking chuck for some reason. I would go with skiddy if you haven't already started. I don't think =this will pull like a chuck- sorry. Wasn't paying attn to the label
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    IMHO, you either go medium rare/rare 130F and slice thin or, like cen-tex said, cook to 200 F and pull it.  Low and slow either way.  Anything in between is going to be like soylent green.  I'm going to do a pulled beef chuck roast today. 

I put on some peanut oil...put on some steak rub...and put it in the egg at 275-300 grate - about 300-315 dome.

it has been in for a little over an hour and internal temp is 81

should I continue the low-slo or go another route?

• I am thinking this thing will be 210+ by 6 pm if I keep the dome up around 300-315?
  • will my original plan for this work?

I was thinking rub...bring to 135 internal on the egg with some hickory smoke and then cranking the egg to 600 and searing one minute a side to finish.
  • I will just keep on talking to myself :)

new plan is to bring it to 135-140 - pull and rest in foil and towel in cooler...then sear at dinner time and slice and serve.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yeah, that sounds right.  Not a lot of fat and collagen in that roast...it would pull, but wouldn't be as good as something like...a chuck roast.   Every time I've done pulled beef I've used cut with more fat and connective tissue, never done one that lean.   

new plan is to bring it to 135-140 - pull and rest in foil and towel in cooler...then sear at dinner time and slice and serve.

I think that's the plan. I looked up a cook like that online and it looked great. Low and slow to 135 and sear if it needs it
  • thanks...guys - resting now....appreciate it
  • I will just keep on talking to myself :)

That works too. I do my rib roasts that way, 225 to 250, pull at 115 to 120, foil until grill is up to 450/500 and then back on until no more than 140 (wife likes well done so we compromise). Good luck..
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • This was one of my mothers favorite roast, that and bone in rump.  Cook it around 325 until med rare.  Let stand uncovered to rest and slice.  My mother used only salt pepper and garlic powder for seasoning and a couple of bays in the roast pan.  The roast was seasoned when cold and she left it out to come to room temp before cooking.  This was one of the few roasts where she used a roasting rack.  
    Served with a horsey sauce it is wonderful.  (my recipe for horsey sauce is a prepared horseradish and 1/4C of heavy cream beaten to just before a soft peak, still slightly runny)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx