Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket tomorrow

Options
mr toad
mr toad Posts: 779
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
any last advice or suggestions

going on tomorrow at 7:00 - using the guru - not quite certain where to place the egg temp probe

will pass along the results later

thanks - mr toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm doing one at 7am tomorrow too. I'll be around.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • easttexasaggie04
    Options
    I put a 12 pounder on at 1:30 this afternoon. 5 hours later it's already at 170... Seems too fast! Temp set at 275 but pumped down to 250.

Any tips? Was planning on cooking all night and eating at noon tomorrow for Aggie/SMU game. Seems like it'll be done waaaaay too early.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I think you are still ok. You are at 275 on the dome right?

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Actually...you are way ahead of schedule. Sorry. You will be done by 2 am or so at this pace. I would take it down to 225 on the dome if you think you can keep your fire lit at that temp. 2 hrs per lb are around 200-225 at the grid. At the temp you were cooking (which I hoghly recommend) are around 1-1.25 per lb.

Next time, put it on at Midnight and cook it at 275 for a noon start. You are going to be done early no matter how you look at it at this point.

You may be able to stretch it out to early am the FTC for 4-5 hours until the game

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    good lord- I can't even understand my own writing. I'm beat (and sober which may be the problem)

Let me know if you need a translator :)

• easttexasaggie04
    Options
    I bumped it down to 225. We'll see what happens.

Last time I had a 13 pounder it took 21 hours at 250. So I figured a 12 pounder at 275 wouldn't be too far off from that. Guess I was very wrong.

If it finishes super early should I just put it in the fridge?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    mr toad said:
     not quite certain where to place the egg temp probe

I clip mine to the grid, a few inches or so away from the brisket.  Avoid too close to the edge (hot) and too close to the brisket (cool) for best results.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I bumped it down to 225. We'll see what happens. Last time I had a 13 pounder it took 21 hours at 250. So I figured a 12 pounder at 275 wouldn't be too far off from that. Guess I was very wrong. If it finishes super early should I just put it in the fridge?
    Depends on how early. You may be an hour or 2 from stalling at 225. I would hope you would stall out for 5-6 (or more) hours at 225 dome (you are really at around 200-210 at the grid at that dome temp). Then you would take a few hours more to climb up. 

I think you are safe holding for up to 6 hrs if you use lots of towels in a cooler so try your best to get this thing to slow roll through the night and get it to a cooler. If it's done at like 3-3 am, you may have to fridge it and reheat on the egg tomorrow. Do NOT slice it until you are ready to eat no matter what you do. You should be able to baby it through

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I put a 12 pounder on at 1:30 this afternoon. 5 hours later it's already at 170... Seems too fast! Temp set at 275 but pumped down to 250. Any tips? Was planning on cooking all night and eating at noon tomorrow for Aggie/SMU game. Seems like it'll be done waaaaay too early.
    My flats take just a little over an hour a pound at 250 grid temp.  A 8-9 pounder will usually take about 11 hours.
    Not sure what going on with your brisket, I'd calibrate the probe right now in boiling water to make sure you're getting an accurate reading.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    placing the temp clip

what about clipping to the egg temp gauge ?

starting out at 250 ?

thanks, mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I put a 12 pounder on at 1:30 this afternoon. 5 hours later it's already at 170... Seems too fast! Temp set at 275 but pumped down to 250.

Any tips? Was planning on cooking all night and eating at noon tomorrow for Aggie/SMU game. Seems like it'll be done waaaaay too early.

My flats take just a little over an hour a pound at 250 grid temp.  A 8-9 pounder will usually take about 11 hours.
    Not sure what going on with your brisket, I'd calibrate the probe right now in boiling water to make sure you're getting an accurate reading.

I think he was right on track for an hour per lb. seemed like the temps were right on to me, no?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I put a 12 pounder on at 1:30 this afternoon. 5 hours later it's already at 170... Seems too fast! Temp set at 275 but pumped down to 250. Any tips? Was planning on cooking all night and eating at noon tomorrow for Aggie/SMU game. Seems like it'll be done waaaaay too early.
    I think he was right on track for an hour per lb. seemed like the temps were right on to me, no?

Honestly, I'm sleeping at the 5 hour mark as I almost always start them at 10:00 - 11:00pm at night and then go to bed.  I don't open the lid until it reaches 195 to poke it a bit.  Seemed quick to reach 170, but I could be wrong.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Honestly, I'm sleeping at the 5 hour mark as I almost always start them at 10:00 - 11:00pm at night and then go to bed.  Don't open the lid until it reaches 195 to poke it a bit.  Seemed quick to reach 170, but I could be wrong.

I do it like you. I think it would have stalled out and evened out the quick rise. I'm making asdumptions but mine behave that way time to time.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited September 2012
    Options

Honestly, I'm sleeping at the 5 hour mark as I almost always start them at 10:00 - 11:00pm at night and then go to bed.  Don't open the lid until it reaches 195 to poke it a bit.  Seemed quick to reach 170, but I could be wrong.

I do it like you. I think it would have stalled out and evened out the quick rise. I'm making asdumptions but mine behave that way time to time.

I usually foil after I pull it (for an hour or 2).  Do you foil, and if so, find it necessary/beneficial.
    I've been doing the same way for so long, I'm open to suggestions.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• easttexasaggie04
    Options
    My last brisket was great at 250 degree grill temp. Don't know why I changed things! Sheesh
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I usually foil after I pull it (for an hour or 2).  Do you foil, and if so, find it necessary/beneficial.
    I've been doing the same way for so long, I'm open to suggestions.

No foil. Ever. I only wrap in foil if I need to hold it for a whole before eating. Foil is the enemy of crust and I love a good bark. Try it without and it think you'll be happy. The only thing foil does is speed up the cook by preventing the evaporative cooling that is the stall. By doing that it also wrecks the crust.
  • easttexasaggie04
    Options
    Ok so I'm at 180 and it's 8:30. What should my gameplan be? Fridge once it reaches 200?

By the way... Sorry I hijacked the thread.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Ok so I'm at 180 and it's 8:30. What should my gameplan be? Fridge once it reaches 200?

By the way... Sorry I hijacked the thread.

Yep.
  • easttexasaggie04
    Options
    Cut off a little slice. Dry as a bone. Dang.... looks like I might be cooking burgers
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cut off a little slice. Dry as a bone. Dang.... looks like I might be cooking burgers

it should not be ready yet. i t will be dry and tough until it gets close to 195
  • easttexasaggie04
    Options
    Current temp is 189. I'll come back at midnight. I thought at this temp it would be moist... just not tender. Am I wrong?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Current temp is 189. I'll come back at midnight. I thought at this temp it would be moist... just not tender. Am I wrong?
    if you cut a slice off the end of the flat, that's going to be dried out no matter what. You cooked it fine. It will be good in the thick part of the flat and the point
  • easttexasaggie04
    Options
    Thanks I appreciate the help. Timing is so crucial on BBQ. Sheesh, I totally misjudged how much 25 degrees would speed things up.
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Just like being in the SEC, Aggie,,,..you'll learn. B-) J/k.....I'm sure you're fine. Hope it's good tomorrow. Can't wait til UGA plays at TamU.....I've always wanted to visit College Station for a Gameday. Welcome to the best conference in the country! You're a great fan base and will fit in just fine.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590