Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What did I do wrong here?

Options
notaclownquestion
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been using BGE lump since I bought my egg in June. After getting several bags with a bunch of little broken pieces, I bought a bag of Wicked Good. I used it last night for the first time on boneless chicken theighs with Dizzy Pig Curryish seasoning. After the cook, all I taste is smoke and a lot of it. Did I do something wrong or is this a trait of Wicked? Any thoughts?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    wicked good can take a little longer to light than some other brands so it may take longer to be burning clean, only test for burning clean is to smell the smoke before the meat goes in the egg, if it smells clean its ready to cook on it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thanks fishless..it was much larger pieces than the BGE lump I have been using including what looked like a small tree limb. I will let it burn off much longer next time and see what happens. Unfortunately the smoke is so strong in the chicken theighs that I am going to have to get rid of them...live and learn right?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the slow lighting is my first though because its wicked good in particular, there are other culprits, fat from a prior cook in the egg, moisture from heavy rains in the egg, just one piece of lump that was not fully charcoal from the lump process or a piece of wood got in that wasnt from their blend of woods etc.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I think you are probably on the right track with the burn time. BGE burns clean fairly quickly and this is the first time I have cooked with anything different. I have used drip pans and a place setter for every cook I have done, so I don't think the fat in the egg is it.

• Skiddymarker
    Options

Thanks fishless..it was much larger pieces than the BGE lump I have been using including what looked like a small tree limb. I will let it burn off much longer next time and see what happens. Unfortunately the smoke is so strong in the chicken theighs that I am going to have to get rid of them...live and learn right?

My saint reads this forum with me over mid morning coffee break, she wants to know how far away you are and she will gladly take those thighs off your hands...... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Gotta be the lack of burn time as mentioned above-I find Wicked Good Weekend Warrior to be about the most smoke-neutral of any of  the many lump charcoal brands I have used. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Took another shot at the chicken theighs tonight and used all the advice given here..dramatically different results. Moist and delicious chicken is the result. Thank you for all the help..this forum is great!