Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

couple of cooks

Austin  Egghead
Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Sunday nite chicken thighs and portabellas mushrooms
Made a paste with garlic, C&S Rib formula and Rattle Snake Dust.  Shrooms oiled and seasoned with chives and a pinch of  RattleSnake Dust. Cooked indirect.

Monday for tuesday Pot Roast 
Almost 3lb. Patted dry and coated with course Kosher salt, RT for 50 minutes while egg stabilized. Removed salt patted dry and seasoned with Das salt free, lemon pepper, pepper, Rattlesnake dust and garlic powder. 
On small at 1300 and cooked indirect @ 285+ until IT reached 195, around 2030. Decanted the grease from drip pan and used ½ bottle of Wild Hare Ale to scrape up the brown bits. Wrapped roast in foil and poured in the ale and bits. Back on the egg (temp about 200) for about an hour. 
We decided not to pull but put in fridge for over night rest. 
Sliced, on small until warmed through. 
The beef was tender, just like a braised pot roast, but taste was all beef. (no wine , veggies or other tastes to interfere with the intense beef flavor). The mouth feel was very velvety. Normally I don’t eat beef fat, but what fat was melt-in-your-mouth good. 

The glistening is from the meat, nothing added
The set up The drip pan stands proud of the foiled pizza stone to prevent drippings from burning
Settled at this temp and held for entire cook
Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Pot roast looks great. Nicely different way for a pot roast.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    That all looks great. I could eat chicken thighs off the Egg every day.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • For an invite, I'll fly home from Italy right now !! Question: Did you check the IT of the roast?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Why haven't I tried pot roast sans pot before?  I'm on it!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

VI, Enjoy Italy.  The pull temp was 195 final temp of the roast, after foiled it was 205.  
    Nola, go for it.  Tonight's leftovers were pretty darn good.
    SWMBO is out at Drago's (best grilled oysters in the country).  Professional meeting.  I'm on house cleaning duty - self appointed.  I'm gonna go for it, need to pick up the pot roast.  Worked from home today - pulled a late night 3:00 AM finishing up some deadline work for a chemical company client we have a big contract with.  Gotta love crunch time.
  • Nola, Had to look up SWMBO....in our house it's  "if mama ain't happy, no one is happy"  I have been in crunch mode since May, but is is starting to slow down.  Looking forward to the Texarkana Fest, making it a very long week end. Thinking of cooking a couple of turkey breasts.