Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning your egg

CoachTbush
CoachTbush Posts: 0
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Whats the best way to clean your egg.  During my first use i let the egg burn very hot which i learned later not the best idea.  Anyway is their a correct way to clean the ceramic parts of my egg.

Comments

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Actually that is what most of us do, let it burn really hot for a while after a cook.  It does fry the stock gasket, but still seems to be the only way I've heard of to clean the parts and the inside.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    edited September 2012
    A really hot first burn may compromise the integrity of your gasket.  It's best to do a couple of moderate temperature cooks to start with. 

This thread begs the question: What is the tipping point for cleaning the inside of the egg?  Number of cooks?  Types of cooks?  Accumulation of residue?  Time?  Having had an egg for less than a year, it's not even on my radar.  Yet. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've never done a clean burn on purpose.  I do enough pizzas (once every 2-3 weeks) where I preheat the egg/plate setter/pizza stone to around 550-600.  That keeps everything pretty clean.  If you capture dripping fat from roasts with a drip pan or foil or something, that helps keeps you from getting in a situation where you have, for example, greasy pig fat smoke impacting your spatchcock chicken.

I've never done a clean burn on purpose.  I do enough pizzas (once every 2-3 weeks) where I preheat the egg/plate setter/pizza stone to around 550-600.  That keeps everything pretty clean.  If you capture dripping fat from roasts with a drip pan or foil or something, that helps keeps you from getting in a situation where you have, for example, greasy pig fat smoke impacting your spatchcock chicken.

+1