Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Parker Brothers Mountain Pure Tennessee Hardwood Charcoal

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,753
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
this is strange, i can buy a tennessee made lump in new hampshire, seems like a descent lump, but google it and nothing
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Is there a web site listed on the package?  I did find a listing online for Parker Charcoal in Jamestown, TN.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • fishlessman
    Options
    nothing on the bag except address and the only review i saw was a newhampshire review online which wasnt as good as my own experience. odd its only found sold way up here with nobody knowing about it down there. smelled god, good burn time, 20 pound bag feels like 30 when picking it up
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• GreenhawK
    Options
    It's funny.  I live in Alabama about 15 miles from TN, and I have never seen it.  What was the price for it?  I am going to keep my eyes open.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • fishlessman
    Options
    it was 16 dollars for the 20 pound bag but it was also in a higher end market, it was priced the same as the cowboy which i havent been happy with lately. bags at camp so ill get a picture of the bag when im up there next
    fukahwee maine

• SteveG
    SteveG Posts: 3
    Options

I've been using this stuff for two years and really like it.  I live in Ohio and we can buy it at our local farm supply store. 

When you see a lot of reviews on lump charcoal they talk about ease of lighting, heat produced, size of lumps and the amount of ash.  While that can certainly be considered, what I also looked for was the flavor it produced. I've only used a few different brands but this is the best I've found.  I pay a little more than fishlessman for a 20 pound bag, but it gets cheaper when you buy the 40 pound bag.   I'll keep using it as long as they sell it here.

• SteveG
    SteveG Posts: 3
    edited August 2014
    Options
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I called them around a year ago and they don't distribute in Tennessee. ..duh. I keep meaning to stop in on my travels but forget. There's a charcoal company here in the Boro that does specialty lump... $50 for 10lbs. Can't be that special.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I'm going to try to get some of their lump down here in Atlanta. Like the fact they are a small biz and only a few hours away.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    It's a family run operation.  I met them at HPBA couple years ago.  Only complaint is lump size: pieces can be on the small size.  If they could bag bigger pieces consistently, it would be one of the best lumps around for the price per pound.   We carry it in our store at $0.75/lb. for 20 pound bag.   I like the oak smell it produces when first firing up. 

Last I talked to them, they had a fire in the bagging operation which has hampered operations. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.