Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Fish Tips

JWBurns
JWBurns Posts: 344
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Looking for some direction on my first fish cook on the egg tonight.

I plan on doing Tilapia, along with some scallops. The scallops I'll cook in a CI pan, but I'm not sure how I should do the fish. I don't one a mesh basket, and I'm afraid of the fish crumbling or sticking to the grate. I've also considered a "foil" pan.

Any thoughts would be helpful

Comments

• Fouker187
    Fouker187 Posts: 48
    edited September 2012
     Is the skin on?  If it is cook skin down directly on the grill about 350 dome temp.  Should only take a couple minutes to cook.  Maybe 6-8 minutes.  If the skin isn't on, it will be tough to keep that fish together. Foil packets will work great but you won't get much flavor from the charcoal that way.
  • Lowes and Home Depot both sell a product that will work just fine.  In their grill accessory dept they sell a sheet of aluminum with holes...great for fish and veggies. Not sure of what they call them but very inexpensive.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If they're skinless tilapia filets, they can overcook before unsticking to the grate.  Fish grates will work - Tilapia filet is delicate, but you need to be careful not to mangle them.  

An option that I lean towards - cook them indirect in a baking pan with a little water and season with butter and spices.  Throw a bunch of chips on top of the lump right before you put it on, since it'll cook in under 10 minutes, you can pick up only so much smoke.  Pull off right when the thickest filet turns opaque in the center.  I'd suggest a fruit wood for smoke so you don't overpower the delicate flavor and texture of the tilapia.
    FWIW, I did a trout fillet on a piece of buttered foil with holes, and apple chips thrown on just before the fish. Came out good. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Blacken it in ur CI skillet.

Submerge in drawn butter
    Coat in seasoning
    Place in med high skillet for about two min per side.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344

Blacken it in ur CI skillet.

Submerge in drawn butter
    Coat in seasoning
    Place in med high skillet for about two min per side.

Really diggin' this idea.

Thanks fellas for all the tips