Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg boiling water out of dome after heavy rain!

Options
RocEGG
RocEGG Posts: 89
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever seen their egg boiling water out of the dome? We had some heavy rains through here the end of last week and this weekend. Egg was uncovered in the table because it was still cooling when the rains started. I fired it up about 24 hours after the rains stopped, brought it up to about 450 dome to sear some thin steaks before upping the temp to do pizzas. Was standing there drinking a beer as it was warming up and noticed that the dome, previously dry was now covered in water droplets like it had just rained. Then i noticed the dome started to steam, as it boiled the drops off. A bit later I heard a steaming/boiling noise and looked closer and saw that water was boiling out hundreds of small cracks in the dome glaze. I didn't think that the dome would absorb so much water. I guess as long as it doesn't reduce the longevity of the glaze it doesn't matter. Kinda strange though.
Rochester, NY  - XL BGE

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Having the water actually boiling out is a little unusual, but steaming and sweating are common.  I've never gone to 450 when mine have seeped hot water, but that was in part because i was having it come up to temperature at all until it dried out.

Sometimes, the "sweat" will even be brown, as grease and soot mixes withthe seeping water.

I usually don't cover my Eggs during the warm weather, because there is usually enough sun to dry the ceramics. During winter, I try to remember to cover them. Not only prevbents moisture build up, but keeps them from freezing shut.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if your in a warm place i dont think its much of a concern, all my eggs weep a little. if your in a cold place, freezing can be bad, i lost a third of the side of my small, still not a big concern because it was covered. last winter there were a few eggs this happened to, never saw it in years past, my small was fine for about 7 years
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I bought my egg in March of this year. I've had it happen at least twice. Like you said, if doesn't effect longevity I don't care. My egg is uncovered 24/7
    Boom
  • gerhardk
    Options
    That is normal, especially during cooler weather when more condensation will form on the dome.  If you ever look down through the upper draft opening you will always be greeted by hot humid air even when the there is no food cooking so I think even the charcoal contains some moisture.

Gerhard
  • pswarren
    Options
    Our egg had a good sweat after there weeks of no use. It was dropping down the done and bubbling as it hit the bands. No worries though.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    Mine did that as well.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

When it's warm, wipe it with a damp rag and you'll be good to go.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options

Mine did that also after sitting in the rain for 3 days(12"). I tried a low temp burn for about 4 hours. Next day started a fire about 3 hours before making pizza. Couldn't get the temp above 400*

Let it just burn to ash. Seems like forever to dry it out.

I thought the glazing was non-porous

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    Water is the enemy to any ceramic cooker, primarily to its finish. Crazing is hairline cracks in the glaze, this crazing effect is due to contacting and expanding when in use. Now when your egg is left out in the elements and water gets inside your cooker, the ceramics soak up the water like a sponge. The next time you use your cooker, the ceramics will weep or sweat out the moisture it absorbed, thus promoting the crazing effect sooner than normal. Moral of the story....always cover your cooker after use and preserve the finish as long as you can. Just my 2 cents worth of intel.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I bought my large used from CL in June and a small last month at the Indy EggFest.  I have kept them in the garage because I don't have a covered area for them out back.  I thought about leaving them out uncovered out there this winter so somebody (usually my wife) can park in the garage out of the weather.  I don't think I will do that now. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

Crazing will happen to an egg whether it is covered and never sees the elements or it is in the open. I know people with eggs that have been left out in the elements for 12 years with no ill effects so don't worry if your egg has "crazing". I have one egg under a roof and one in the open for 6+ years. Water will seep into your ceramics and weep out when the egg is heated but I have never seen where this has damaged the finish, I guess it could but I have never seen it. BTW I have the heavy duty vented cover that I never use because my egg would sweat whether I used the cover or not.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I live in Michigan and the thaw freeze cycle rolls over and over again all winter long.  That's a major reason why our roads suck.  I would be concerned with water entering the ceramics of an uncovered Egg and freezing.  Because everyone in this state knows that when water seeps into the cracks of a road and freezes...POP!  You get a pothole.
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    I live in Michigan and the thaw freeze cycle rolls over and over again all winter long.  That's a major reason why our roads suck.  I would be concerned with water entering the ceramics of an uncovered Egg and freezing.  Because everyone in this state knows that when water seeps into the cracks of a road and freezes...POP!  You get a pothole.

ive only seen this once on this site and it was my egg, i dont think it happens often enough to worry about it, this small was about seven years old in the newengland winters. the inside looks fine it popped about half way thru

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it