Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye Steaks with Green Peppercorn Brandy Sauce

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
also home cooked spinach soufflé and Jalapeno Cheddar Gratin Potatoes.
Since we're leaving for Italy tomorrow, I didn't want to have withdrawals of the two things Texans must have.
We ate Tex Mex last night at our fav restaurant, and had steaks tonight.

Now, bring on the pasta !!!!!  :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    that looks really good did you make the sauce yourself ?
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks fantastic.  Nice cook.
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Need new keyboard from all the drool that fell out of my mouth.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Yes, the sauce is really good, but one of the ingredients is Beef Demi Glace.  The only place I could find it was Williams Sonoma for $29.95 a bottle.  The recipe called for 1/2 cup, which was half the bottle .... or $15 worth.  I don't think I'll make it again for that price.  If you want to, I'll be glad to post the recipe.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    @Village Idiot that be great Thanks!!!!
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sounds and looks delicious.  You'll be a hop, skip and a jump from France.

Amazon has 2 cup tubs of demi-glace for $22.65 with pretty good reviews.  http://www.amazon.com/More-Than-Gourmet-Demi-glace-16-Ounce/dp/B0010OQQ2Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1347319239&sr=1-1&keywords=demiglace
    Rib Eye Steaks with Peppercorn Brandy Sauce

2 T butter
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 shallot, minced
    2 T unsalted butter
    3/4 cup brandy
    1/2 cup beef or veal demi glace
    1/4 to 1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 1/2 t green peppercorns in brine, drained
    2 T unsalted butter
    Kosher salt to taste

Saute the garlic and shallot in 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet.  Add the brandy and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture is reduced by three fourths.  Stir in the accumulated steak juices, demi-glace and cream.

Simmer until the mixture is reduced by one third.  Stir in the peppercorns.  Whisk in 2 tablespoons butter and season with salt to taste and pepper.  Simmer just until heated through.  

(Note)  You may not need to add any salt.  My wife, who is salt sensitive, thought it was too salty with my additions.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Amazon has 2 cup tubs of demi-glace for $22.65 with pretty good reviews.  
    Thanks, Nola.  I usually start shopping for ingredients the morning I want to do my cook.  This took me by surprise.  I'll plan ahead next time.  Thanks !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you can't be impulsive, life just ain't as fun.
    :D
    @Village Idiot Thank you 
  • I had a feeling this thread was your doing based on the title. Looks good my friend. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Yes, the sauce is really good, but one of the ingredients is Beef Demi Glace.  The only place I could find it was Williams Sonoma for $29.95 a bottle.  The recipe called for 1/2 cup, which was half the bottle .... or $15 worth.  I don't think I'll make it again for that price.  If you want to, I'll be glad to post the recipe.
    LOL, but it looks delicious.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• also home cooked spinach soufflé and Jalapeno Cheddar Gratin Potatoes.
    Since we're leaving for Italy tomorrow, I didn't want to have withdrawals of the two things Texans must have.
    We ate Tex Mex last night at our fav restaurant, and had steaks tonight.

Now, bring on the pasta !!!!!  :)
    Awesome looking meal and cool table.  Thanks.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Yum!!! and have a great trip!!
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Demi-glace is a bear to make but well worth the effort. It is essentially one part Jus de Veau lis (veal stock) and one part Sauce  (jus de vieux lis) with a Espagnole sauce reduced to a "coat a spoon" consistency. Just get veal bones.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sorry

Demi-glace is a bear to make but well worth the effort. It is essentially one part Jus de Veau lis (veal stock) and one part Sauce  with a Espagnole sauce reduced to a "coat a spoon" consistency. Just get veal bones.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Looks great!  Bon voyage!
    Flint, Michigan
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited September 2012
    On your return, I hope you learn how to wash the dishes to wash the dishes or sit on a stump or eat a tangerine. These are good things to know. I'm sure you will learn. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Yes, the sauce is really good, but one of the ingredients is Beef Demi Glace.  The only place I could find it was Williams Sonoma for $29.95 a bottle.  The recipe called for 1/2 cup, which was half the bottle .... or $15 worth.  I don't think I'll make it again for that price.  If you want to, I'll be glad to post the recipe.
    The Williams Sonoma Demi Glace is seriously condensed  I've never used more than a couple tablespoons (and usually less). Can not imagine what 1/2 cup would be like.  I do a Pan Seared filet with Madeira Wine Demi Glace.  Haven't done them on the Egg yet so no pics, but it's on the list. After searing the steaks in cast iron pan you use:

1/4 cup Madeira Wine 

1/2 cup beef stock

2 Tablespoons Beef Demi Glace (William Sonoma for $29)

1 Tablespoon butter

To the hot skillet, add ¼ cup Madeira and deglaze the skillet. Scrape up all the bits stuck to the bottom.  Next add beef stock and Demi Glace to the skillet and whisk.  Let the sauce simmer and reduce by half, about 3-5 minutes until thick.  Once the sauce has reduced take the skillet off the heat and add a tablespoon of butter.  This will give your sauce a little more texture and gloss. Fantastic sauce for the steak.  

Have a great time in Italy.  Looking forward to your posts when you return.

Griffin Posts: 8,200

Another outstanding cook by VI!! =D>

Have fun in Italy and take lots of pics.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings