Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stirring lump?

Onegrecook
Onegrecook Posts: 121
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
How much do you guys or gals stir your lump after its been used one or twice? I've noticed that when I stir the lump to get the ash through the grate in the bottom, it tends to just break it up into small pieces and make air flow more difficult.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I stir every time before adding new lump. just to get the ash and small pieces through the grate.  Haven't noticed the pieces falling apart.  Using Wicked Good.
  • I stir before every cook to get the ashes out.  I usually pulled old lump to one side and dump fresh in the other side the drag old stuff on top of new.  I also scrape out ashes every other cook or so while I'm waiting for the Egg to heat up.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • Tjcoley said:
    I stir every time before adding new lump. just to get the ash and small pieces through the grate.  Haven't noticed the pieces falling apart.  Using Wicked Good.
    +1

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I just use my BGE long grill cleaner and stur up the old lump until I can see the fire grate.

Then I pour the fresh lump on top of the hichory chunks I've placed on the old lump, and light'er up.

• I always put on the gook gloves and root through it forcing all the ash through the grate and clearing the vent holes.  If it's a long cook I pull it all out; add new and large to the bottom then put the old on top.  If it's hot and fast and I want an across the pit fire I use a chimney starter full of old on top of some new.  I always pull out the ashes before lighting the next fire. Five minutes or less and I have NEVER had a temp control problem.  Lot's of other stupid-don't-know-how-to-cook problems but never a temp control problem.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • after stirring the used lump, what do you all use to clear the dust from your nostrils?
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • after stirring the used lump, what do you all use to clear the dust from your nostrils?
    Two beers and I don't notice.  Don't get me started on the joys of sinus irrigation with neti pots and syringes.  Not suitable for a food forum.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    after stirring the used lump, what do you all use to clear the dust from your nostrils?
    A paper towel soaked in cooking oil works well - oh wait, thats for something else.