Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about FTC

Hashmaker
Hashmaker Posts: 149
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Is there some sort of guideline for FTC? Like... How long? Should I heat the cooler? One towel? How many butts can I put in one cooler? etc...  I've always just wrapped well in foil and let the meat cool to where I could pull it without burning my fingers. I did a butt last night and wrapped with foil, then wrapped in a towel and put it in my cooler. It's been there two hours and is still pretty warm. Any advice? Thanks!

Comments

• I have put my butts or briskets in a cooler after foil wrapping and then a blanket wrap for 3-4 hours and they never lost more than 10 degrees.  I have pushed it to 1 hour because of time constraints and it was still very good.  The collagen and connective tissues in the meat begin to break down at 195.  If you let it rest for 2-3 hours FTC I think it makes it juicier and more tender.  I'm a pizza guy, what do I know?

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    You can put as much as will fit.  The towels are to fill the empty space in the cooler.  I've kept pork butt for up to 4 hours and it was still hot.  As long as it stays above 140 degrees you are fine.  I usually heat the cooler by pouring in hot water for 10 minutes or so then emptying it, however I've also done it without preheating.

A butt or brisket in a decent cooler full of hot towels can easily be served four hours later. Just no peeking!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Three hours later the butt was taken out, unwrapped and pulled. Holy s**t!! The meat was much better this way. Much more moist than previous methods. Does anyone know who came up with this?
  • Hashmaker said:
    Three hours later the butt was taken out, unwrapped and pulled. Holy s**t!! The meat was much better this way. Much more moist than previous methods. Does anyone know who came up with this?

It's been around as long as i've been doing bbq so no clue who the originator was. Let's just say it was @nakedwhiz since he is the resident genius around here. Seriously wouldn't suprise me at all if it was him.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Another reason I'm glad this forum exists.
  • not recommended but I've held one for 12 hours and it was still warm when I got home. I catered a party for a buddy and we had one butt left over and we stayed and drank beer all night. Pulled it when I got home later than night and it was still too hot to do by hand.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    All the pre-heating of the cooler is not necessary, if you just fill up the air space with towels, blankets, etc. you will be great for several hours.