Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Beans and Rub

midwestsmoker
midwestsmoker Posts: 448
edited September 2012 in Vegetables
Did a little searching but didn't find anything to my liking. Does anyone put rub on their green beans, if so what kind and how to you cook them.

Comments

• I don't put rub on them, but the best recipe I've ever found is from Penzey's.

1 lb. green beans or snow peas
    1/2 c pecans
    2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
    2 teaspoons sesame seeds
    2 teaspoons Mural of Flavor (from Penzey's)
    2 teaspoons honey

1.Bring a pot of water (at least 2 quarts) to a rolling boil. This takes up to 15 minutes. Add the green beans and cook 2 minutes. Drain and rinse the beans to stop the cooking but leave them warm. While the water is coming to a boil, heat the butter/oil in a medium pan and simmer on low with the pecans.
    2.Once they are lightly browned, add the sesame seeds and Mural of Flavor. Once the beans are boiling in the pot, drizzle the pecan mix with the honey, stir regularly, then when the beans have been drained and rinsed, add them to the pan and toss with the seasoned nut mix. Place in a serving bowl. Cover the bowl with foil and place in a warm place until ready to serve.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mr. Idiot, (sorry couldn't resist), sounds like something I would like to try however I do have a few questions as I don't completely understand the recipe. I will get back to you when I have a little more time. Thanks.
  • Sure, MWS.  I commend your parents on their excellence in bringing you up with manners.  So many people just call me "idiot", and yet, you put in the respectful salutation.  :D

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mr. Idiot, rather than me trying to explain what I don't understand can you rewrite the recipe. It seems a little contradicting. I know we are just having fun but I have to give some credit to my time spent in the military plus I have taught my kids to address people with respect, monkey see monkey do.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited September 2012
    I've found rubs can be pretty strong if sprinkled on veggies.  I like EVOO, sea salt, and pepper, then when served maybe some taco sauce.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Thanks Doc, we have been sautéing them in evoo, garlic and mushrooms. Trying to come up with some more of a seasoning taste, glad you recommended against the rub before I tried it.
  • I like to toss them lightly with melted butter, then a light sprinkling of lemon pepper.
  • Mr. Idiot, rather than me trying to explain what I don't understand can you rewrite the recipe. It seems a little contradicting. I know we are just having fun but I have to give some credit to my time spent in the military plus I have taught my kids to address people with respect, monkey see monkey do.
    Sure.  The directions are a little bit fuzzy.

Two separate things going on.  First, boil the beans (I like snow peas) until tender, drain,  and set aside.

In a skillet,  saute the pecans in butter or oil until the pecans are somewhat browned.  Then, add the sesame seeds and Mural of Flavor (I think you could substitute Mr. Dash) to the skillet and drizzle the honey over it.

Pour the pecan/honey/Mural of Flavor/Sesame seed mix to the beans and stir.

(I think the confusion came when the directions wanted you to do both at the same time).

I hope that helps.

Gary Willson
    Army (Sp/5 Retired, 1968)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Hmmm, lemon pepper sounds good. Thanks
  • Mr. Willson, if I may. Yes that was the confusing part, thank you. And thank you for your time spent in the Army.