Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cluck, cluck goes the hen.......

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Game hens.  Indirect and raised in the dome, at 350 for about 50 minutes until 180 internal.  Stuffed with lemon and asparagus tips.  Sprayed with EVOO, then drizzled with lemon on top before being sprinkled with Traeger Sweet Rub.

In the bottom were white potatoes wedges and more asparagus.

Warning, the knife and fork are only suggestions; the only real way to eat these is Henry VIII style.

Pics to follow.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Pics

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Oops, forgot the smoke.  For this cook it was mesquite.

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    looks great Doc and how do you like that roasting pan i was just looking at it but wasn't sure if it would fit my LBGE 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    bigphil said:
    looks great Doc and how do you like that roasting pan i was just looking at it but wasn't sure if it would fit my LBGE 
    It barely fits the XL, if I only use the middle rack, when I am on the Woo / raised grid.  It fits easily with all three racks if I have the grid on the fire ring.  I will try and remember to size fit it in the LBGE when I clean up in the morning.  If you really want to know, and I forget to post send me a PM and I will let you know how it works.

• bigphil
    Options
    @Doc pm not working but that be great if you remember if not no big deal i'll be getting my XL this coming saturday at the eggfest 
    Thanks Phil 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    XL and LBGE is a great combo.  We're thinking about adding a Small for some mobility.

• bigphil
    Options
    was joking with my wife that we should get a small or medium for camping next year she agreed  =D>
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    NOM!!

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    bigphil said:
    The answer is no for the LBGE.  All three racks work in the XL if the grid is on the fire ring.

• bigphil
    Options
    @Doc thanks for checking it out , on the XL it gives another option for indirect cooking also 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I was just saying to the Mrs. last night that it has been too long since we've done Cornish game hens. Guess we need to go find some. They look scrumptious!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• brianwdmn
    Options
    Hey Doc, The cook looks great as usual. How difficult was it to clean the roasting pan?
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
     the only real way to eat these is Henry VIII style.

I agree...they look good!!!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Warning, the knife and fork are only suggestions; the only real way to eat these is Henry VIII style.

Did the wife get nervous when you suggested Henry VIII style? 
    :))
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    So.... When I read the title of this thread, I couldnt help but think of this song. The vid clip and song are rated PG. The Movie that the clip is from is rated RRRRRRRR (do not watch unless you have a very strong stomach and dont get freaked out easily. 

The clip shouldnt bother anyone.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    brianwdmn said:
    Hey Doc, The cook looks great as usual. How difficult was it to clean the roasting pan?
    It's not too hard.  I soak overnight.  Last time was a snap, this time I had to get a little polish out.  I was wondering is spraying it with Pam would make it easier.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:

You don't know my wife.  She'd be the first to toss the bones, and let the Irish Wolfhounds clean them up! 

To illustrate, she was the 2011 Iron Woman State Champion for the Florida State Muzzle Loading Rifle Association.  That requires shooting flintlocks, cap locks, smoothbore and rifle, knife and hawk throwing.

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I hate doc eggerton. Every meal he post shows me how little I can do with my egg. Seriously, looks awesome just like everything you post. Adding yet another thread to my food favorite list to try later.
    Boom
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I hate doc eggerton. Every meal he post shows me how little I can do with my egg. Seriously, looks awesome just like everything you post. Adding yet another thread to my food favorite list to try later.
    Fan, if you can cook chicken you can do these.  They do make a great presentation though.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:

You don't know my wife.  She'd be the first to toss the bones, and let the Irish Wolfhounds clean them up! 

To illustrate, she was the 2011 Iron Woman State Champion for the Florida State Muzzle Loading Rifle Association.  That requires shooting flintlocks, cap locks, smoothbore and rifle, knife and hawk throwing.
    My joke missed the mark. I was thinking about Henry VII being famous for beheading two of his wives, with the story that one head was brought to the dinner table on a platter.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.