Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My minion method - burns forever

MikeG
MikeG Posts: 174
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

I use a 4" x 12" 'pipe' to contain a bit of fresh lump and hit it with my heat gun.   If using a soft lump such as RO the gun takes less than 40 seconds to get it blazing. 

Doing it this way really contains the fire to a small cone that will run L & S forever if the vents are choked down properly.  You do have to have the bottom vent open 25% more for the same temps vs lighting a much larger area of the fuel load.

Link to video:

http://s10.beta.photobucket.com/user/nomo4me/media/MVI_4652.mp4.html

Comments

• Is that the heat gun from Harbor Freight? When my $18 ace hardware special dies, I plan on getting one of those. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • MikeG

Don't know why the vid isn't playing.  Worked fine when I uploaded it.  It shows me using a pair of tongs to pull the pipe out of the pile after lighting the contents.   If you heat-gun the fuel without the can you might only light a small area, but you super-heat a much larger area which will be alight within a few minutes after you load up your food and shut the lid.

TT: yeah that's the HF heavy duty version and I really like it for the schnozzle - either to jamb down into the fuel for heating or to jamb into the bottom vent hole on the cold setting to force feed air to the fuel if in a hurry.

• I never saw anyone else do that.  I have a heat gun!
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    @MikeG very cool the video worked fine for me and is that a large juice can your using ?
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • MikeG
    It's a 4"x12", bought some 'crab chips' at an Asian market and peeled out the bottom with a can opener. I load fresh lump in the can then use the leftovers from last cook around it.