Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler - Less Than Satisfactory Results

jfarley
jfarley Posts: 145
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

I seasoned and used my dutch oven for the first time yesterday. My first cook with it was peach cobbler. I can't find a recipe at the BGE site or this forum so I gave Paula Dean's recipe a try: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/dutch-oven-peach-cobbler-recipe/index.html

The results were not great. I used the plate setter as I had set it up with a drip pan for the seasoning, I just decided to leave it in place. The Egg held to 350 degrees and I cooked it for one hour, 15 minutes longer than the recipe called for. This recipe is woefully short on peaches. The peaches to crust ratio was not right. The dough also did not come out crusty as I expected. Perhaps next time I will cook with the dutch oven on direct heat. Does anyone have any thoughts or a good peach cobbler recipe that they have had success with?

LBGE - July 2012
Valencia, CA

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Didn't use a Dutch Oven, or peaches for that matter, but this was a great cobbler.  I used blueberries and also did an apple one.  Peaches should work just as well.http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142921/and-for-dessert-blueberry-cobbler#latest
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I will get you my wife's recipe for peach cobbler. It never fails.

Tim
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Just took a look at the Paula Dean recipe. I don't think the problem was you or the Egg. Here are some recipes that look far, far better: here, here, and here. Peaches, at least in the Northeast, have been fabulous this year, so don't even look at anything that calls for canned. Also, not sure the dutch oven is the best vehicle because cobbler is generally baked in a shallow pan, but, then again, you don't have to fill the oven. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jfarley

Looking forward to seeing you wife's recipe ratcheer, and thanks for the suggestions jlsm!

I guess I'm stuck on the Dutch Oven as a throwback to my Boy Scout days. Where I live in Santa Clarita CA. they do a Cowboy Festival and serve what they call "Cowboy Cobler" which is actually just peach cobler, but it's also cooked in a dutch oven. They of course are putting charcoal directly underneath and on top of the oven. Maybe I can replicat that by kicking up the temp a bit on the Egg. Perhaps 350 degrees was too low?

LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Fruit Cobbler

4 T butter
    1 C self-rising flour
    1 1/2 Quarts fruit
    1 C buttermilk
    1 C sugar

Preheat oven to 450

Melt butter in 9" square baking pan. Add fruit to pan. In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, flour, and buttermilk. Pour over the fruit.

Bake for 1 hour.

Makes eight servings.

This is what I was referring to as "my wife's recipe". In all fairness, she got it from cooks.com.

Tim
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Ratcheer, no need to source. Let your wife take the credit. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jlsm said:
    Ratcheer, no need to source. Let your wife take the credit. 
    Exactly! This ain't nothin but BBQ & good times!  After a cocktail or two, nobody would remember the source anyway.
    Flint, Michigan
  • jfarley
    Thanks for the input all. I'm giving this another go this evening. Right now getting ready to head to the local farmers market to get fresh peaches. Apkarian Farms from Reedly, CA is always there with awesome fruit. I'll post how it turns out.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited September 2012
    This is the one i use I cook it in a loaf type pan on the Egg
    its always a big hit

Large can peaches
    1 Cup self rising flour
    Tea sp baking powder
    1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
    1 cup Powdered buttermilk or real buttermilk
    Stick salted butter
    Mix all but peaches and butter
    In pan or microwave melt butter pour into baking pan
    Pour batter on melted butter
    Spread peaches on batter
    Add 2 shots peach schnapps  
    Cook at 400- 425 cook till top is brown
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • So, I decided to try the Paula Dean recipe. It came out ok and was quick and easy. Next time out though I will double up on the fruit as the topping overwhelmed the fruit (should have followed your advice). Will try a few of the other recipes. Nice to pre make and jam on post the main course.
  • jfarley
    I tried the third recipe in the third link from jlsm above. Flavor was great with fresh peaches. I went with the DO on direct heat that creeped up to 400 degrees from 350. With the sugar in the peaches it did scorch and stick to the bottom of the oven. Will probably have to re-season the oven. Next time I will try with the oven sitting directly on the plate setter. As with the Paula Dean recipe this one came out with a low peach to dough ratio. I'm with LongboardR on doubling up the peaches with whatever recipe I use. Will keep trying to make this work. The guests were very impressed with the cobbler being served right out of the DO set on a couple of bricks on the outdoor table.  
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • I bought a BGE Dutch oven and did the peach cobbler for my first use too? I used the recipe off the BGE site and it turned out great. I did it for a July 4th party and everyone loved it. I just went on the BGE site and you go to the recipe section then at the bottom click on the older entries twice then at the top middle picture is peach cobbler. If you watch the video, the guy making the cobbler actually uses a little different recipe then what is listed. He uses cream not the butter milk. I followed the written recipe and it turned out great. It dud take a bit longer then the recipe listed. Make sure you really season your Dutch oven good then it will not stick. Good luck!
  • jfarley
    Funny how I missed that recipe when I checked before. I'll definitely give it a try next time. Thanks flmtrain!
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA