Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caveman cook completed

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, it was fun. Here is what I learned from my no seasonings, no thermometers, no lump, all wood experience.[p]It is possible to cook with no thermometers, and no lump. [p]Once a fire is going well, a five hour cook can be accomplished without replenishing wood...and very little stirring.[p]Sirloin tip is very tasty meat, and cooked medium is slightly chewy, but not tough. Sliced thin makes great sammiches.[p]Plenty of flavor, but seasonings would have been nice. Spices are good.[p]Should have mixed some more maple into the mix...it was mostly mesquite, and the smoke flavor was a bit strong throughout.[p]You can tell a lot by sliding a skewer into the meat, and pulling it back out.[p]You can estimate the eggs temp somewhat by how fast the smoke rises, and by feeling the temp of the air coming out, and by feeling the exterior of the dome.[p]Overall the meat was very moist (nearly juicy). The bark was gorgeous.[p]Twas fun. Back to work.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Sounds like it was fun. You took it a bit farther than CW and I (at least I) did, I at least used lump. Well, good eats, learn something, don't get much better. Congrats on the success.[p]Troy
  • Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]A few more points to ponder:[p]Water flows downhill.[p]Heat rises.[p]Every dog has its day.[p]B~F[p]Good Work!
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Knew you would suceeed in your endeavor. You should have gotten a nice smoke ring too.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature Boy, Good show..Now you know what those guys in the converted propane tanks do. Natural wood and lots of it.:-)
    Thanks for testing that one out.
    I did the IceMan cook tonight..took vacuum packed ribs out of the freezer and had Fathers Day all over again..Dang those are good.
    Cheers.
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Oooh. I was just thinkin it has been 2 or 3 weeks since I cooked ribs. They are in the top 5 cooks you can do on the egg. Maybe top 3.[p]Yeah, I s'pose a lot of people use wood for Qin. Sure was fun, and amazing how well the egg kept a wood fire burning efficiently for 5 hours. I fully expected to have to add wood every 30 minutes. Yet I only added a bit after the initial sear, and the next 4 hours was nearly maintenance free.[p]If I was to lay out on the ground in front of you all the wood I used, you wouldn't believe how little it was.[p]Next time....seasonings!!
    Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    JJ,
    Yep. The smoke flavor was in the centermost part of the meat as well. A lot of fun. I bet those steaks you cook on the chiminea are great![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • The Colonel
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    All right, okay--uggha, uggha--(good job) Thanks for the fun there NB. Wish I was there to have one of your sammichs.
    yours in the egg--the colonel

• Nature Boy
    Options
    The Colonel,
    Just made a huge pot of chili with the leftovers (plus a chuck roast I seared today). Turned out with a great smokey (aint them mountains down in Tennessee??) flavor. Dinner time in five minutes. Wish you could make it!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com